engine Hydrafoil

Adk1

Have a 91 221 Islander..V6..Thinking about installing a hydrafoil on the cavitation plate. curious to know what other tin boat owners of similar size that have done so how the performance improved, if at all?

I put hydrafoils on my 87 25' larson. It made a huge diffrence coming up on plane and eliminated porposing (was bad enought to eventualy lead to the boat skipping across the water airborn) granted its fiberglass n a v8 but the results were impressive

Thanks I would assume that it had to make a difference. Any particular manufacturer? My dad has the hydra troll but I am not putting the trolling plate model on the islanders thinking the stingray, been around a long time must be good

Thanks bigdave defiantly gonna pick one up. Most likely the stingray version. I hope my pre existing holes match up. That would be nice

Ok so basically I should install a foil on my islander no matter what. I can't wait to try it out. I might run it first time without then pull up to an island and install it and run it with it on that way I will defiantly see the difference real quick. I hope that it lifts the stern up whil underway and forces the nose down as well. That is if the existing holes on my cavitation plate match up to the foils installation. I will check that prior to launch. Also thinking aboit assign 150 pounds to the bow via sandbags anyways.

Adk,

I have one of those hydrafoil thingys on mine and it seems to work good....the boat came with it but don't know why they put it on

I meant to comment on a previous thread about your sandbag idea:

Would a water tank (18-20 gal) mounted near the bow, with a livewell pump and ball valve (to drain) work the same as sandbags?

I was thinking about this cuz you could fill the tank with 150# of ballast with the flick of a switch or drain it if the conditions exist on a flat lake......your boat would be lighter to trailer around too after the drain is opened

~WC~

Be careful about weighting, not that it doesn't work for specific things and reasons, but conditions and reasons can change quickly.

The engineering that goes into a boat is not second hand, there are reasons for weight limits and distribution formulas. Just be aware of them that's all. I know a guy who used bags of something (I thought it was sand but im not positive) in the bow and after 3 or so years one broke filed bilge with sand, clogged his bilge pump and plugged all the slots mean to let water back to the stern. So he took them out to discover they caused corrosion on the alum where he had placed them creating pits %50 though the hull. 

Depending on boat the hydrofoil is nice but trim tabs are nicer (but much more money and a much bigger pain to maintain and install). The hydrofoils are the best place to start and if it fixes it your golden quit there.

I have a set I will sell ya with the hardware I believe its called a dol-fin. It also bolts thru the cavatation plate.

Sent from my thinking car!

Edited by Chas0218