Boat Wax

Billy V

I've decided to wait on the Poli Glow until the new gelcoat has had a chance to fully cure, so we'll be buffing/waxing again this spring.

What do you guys recommend as a high-quality wax to use on your fiberglass boat hulls? For years we've use Dolphinite T-Wax, but the bottle is empty.

Bill, I used to use the liquid wax's and was never happy with the result. a couple weeks later and you'd never guess I had waxed the thing. The last couple years I have just been using the West Marine Caranuba Paste Wax (solid stuff in thye metal tin) and that has worked much better for me.

Tim

Even though the guys at the marina swear by the T-Wax (it's a liquid), I just never thought it shined or protected my gelcoat as long as I wanted it to. I think maybe I'll look into a high quality carnauba paste wax and see how that holds up.

Thanks for the replies guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. We spent the weekend buffing and waxing the boat. We also touched up the bottom paint. I'm pretty happy with the results:

ReadytogointhewaterMarch2008002.jpg

ReadytogointhewaterMarch2008003.jpg

I had a little bit of Meguiar's Heavy-Duty Oxidation remover left and I had begun buffing the boat with that. When that ran out I switched over to the new bottle of 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound that I had purchased. What a HUGE difference! The 3M has a ton more grit to it and it did a much better job of removing the oxidation than the Meguiar's did. I won't go back to the Meguiar's now that the guys at the boat yard turned me on to the 3M. That stuff coupled with an orbital buffer made the job a whole lot easier. We finished it up with the bottle of Dolphinite that I found in my garage and now she's shining like a new penny! I have enough of the Dolphinite to last me a couple more years. When that finally runs out I'll look into some of your suggestions.

When we were done we drove up by the bay and there's still a ton of ice on it. If Mother Nature doesn't do her part and get the temps up to where they belong for this time of year, we won't be putting the boat in any time soon.

Bill, That other tent was a smidgen compared to this. I set it up in my pole building so I could leave it up for awhile. The building is 40'x64'. I had to parallel park my truck across the front door to fit it back in :shock: . Hey Split, I've been calling it the "Maniac Hotel" :lol: . I'll try to put up a couple pics tonight

geese billy on my aluminum ive been using a mixture of fish poop and slime kinda acts like a big chum bag ,i only wash er down before i bring a chummer on board sorta like FISHERMAN in 1 ft seas.i cant belive i just responded to a subject such as boat wax,almost as bad as that guy on glangler with the priming bulb problem after several suggestiong and a thoural investagation he was outa gas..hope he has wireless internet so he can get some help as what to do when a fish bites his lure.

• 2 weeks later...