Helping my little boat fish big!

Dukdog

I've seen a couple articles lately on small boat fishing on the big lakes.  My boat has already has most of the gear recommended in those articles and one addition of my own that I'm really pleased with. 

Being in my mid 60's and not having the balance I once had, Safety made it necessary to rethink how I was doing business, especially when fishing alone.

That's when I came up with the idea of installing a rail across the back to lean on or grab for support when setting my downriggers. The rear rail worked so well that it quickly evolved into something even more handy with the addition of side rails!! 

I loved everything the way it helped it but recently I struck upon the idea that I might add a rocket launcher and get my rod storage up and out of the way. 

I bought the material to build the rod holders and had a local welder weld it up for me.   I liked those so much I decided to add another rod holder on each upright and 3 more across the back mid rail.  I think they came out great!!!

Something I didn't discover until the project was underway was that the launcher top bar makes the perfect place to attach my GoPro camera for shooting videos of the fishing action!! A couple of these photos were taken with the GoPro in still mode and will give you an idea of the view from above!!

Additionally, The rocket launcher section will hinge down and lay flat for traveling down the road.  All that is required is to loosen two  3/16" allen head set screws.  
As a matter of fact, the whole rail system and rocket launcher can be disassembled and removed in less than 4 or 5 minutes when it's time to get the boat ready for mounting my blind for duck season!!

Original real rail section 2011

DSCN1253.jpg

New and improved side rails added! 2012

0415121615a.jpg

The whole meal deal!! 2014  6 rod Rocket launcher and 5 more rod holders below!  

DSCN0505_zps3d1914b6.jpg

DSCN0506_zps228489fe.jpg]

The Go Pro view

GOPR0598_zps365db85d.jpg

Another GoPro view

GOPR0603_zpsd04d9293.jpg

Folded down for travel

DSCN0509_zps40d98072.jpg

]

Rails used as a Duck hunting Layout boat transport rack for Sea Duck tending!

Layoutboat.jpg

Ready for Duck Hunting!!

P1010005.jpg

Fall fun!

100_0871.jpg

Looks good, but I do have 1 suggestion/question.  

Can you tip the fishing poles in the rocket launcher more vertical?  When in transit on the water the poles might work their way out of the rocket launchers especially with dipsys and spin dr. whipping in the wind.

I can adjust the angle by loosening a set screw on each end fitting and the launcher section will rotate to anywhere I need it. I initally set it where you see it! I appreciate the tip on what will work better!

Here's a little video I made on how it works.

http://youtu.be/YejtMKWgJyY

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Dukdog

I can adjust the angle by loosening a set screw on each end fitting and the launcher section will rotate to anywhere I need it. I initally set it where you see it! I appreciate the tip on what will work better!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

Good to hear.  I almost didn't want to post it thinking it was welded in place as it looks like you put a lot of time and effort into your design.

That looks great.

The only thing that I would change is the overhead rod storage and make it lean forward instead of backward while fishing so it is out of the way. And then swivel it back again while going places.

Cool! Nice work and you obviously spent some time thinking that one through :yes:

Edited by Sk8man

I'm envious of your garage space I need something that sized to store my camper our boat.

Sent from my thinking chair...

When we decided to move to Maine 12 years ago, I was assigned the job of finding us the right place. I drove by this one, saw the size of the barn and for all I cared the house could have been a tarpaper shack!!! It's 24 x 44 and was built to house the previous owners giant motorhome. I finished off a man cave that's 10 by 20 with cable TV, heat, mini fridge, and my LayZ boy!!

I go out there after the wife and I have coffee and watch the news in the morning!! Come back in for lunch and again about 5 PM just like I'm coming home from a job!!! Life is good!!!

I like the rails, but if you are fishing alone, you should get one of those remote kill switches in case you some how fall overboard.  Maybe I am over cautious, but crazier things have happened.  You could also probably tie a string to your kill switch and tie it to your belt.

That's a nice high mast for a planer reel...near the lights!

I was thinking of that but I've got a Cannon Planer mast that goes on the bow right now. I'm thinking of adding another rod holder on each side on the uprights that go to the launcher. I don't know though, the 31 rod holders on the boat right now should be enough!! LOL

Very nice! Have you considered those long tractor lynch pins and multiple holes for making adjustments on your rocket launcher? They would also work where the fold down joint is. Be faster than using an allen wrench, but the holes could elongate over time and get sloppy.

Very nice! Have you considered those long tractor lynch pins and multiple holes for making adjustments on your rocket launcher? They would also work where the fold down joint is. Be faster than using an allen wrench, but the holes could elongate over time and get sloppy.

I did think of possibly lynch pinning them but haven't done it for the reason you cited. I think it would be really wobbly and probably quite noisy after a while. The allen heads aren't anymore of a pain than the pins!! My duck blind uses pins and I lose or misplace about 3 or 4 a year while hunting. Just can't keep track of them in all the carnage and decoys.

Right now I've got 4 different 3/16 allen wrenches in the boat so hopefully I won't lose them all at once

Looks good Dukdog

As far as lynch pins, they work great if you can get the right id and od's to match.....I used a hydraulic hose crimper to tweek the sizes before drilling out for lynch pins.....they work great and don't rattle

Here's the rod holder sets I made last year out of aluminum

post-151807-0-71097800-1394671723_thumb.jpg

post-151807-0-07478300-1394671768_thumb.jpg

Looks good Dukdog

As far as lynch pins, they work great if you can get the right id and od's to match.....I used a hydraulic hose crimper to tweek the sizes before drilling out for lynch pins.....they work great and don't rattle

Here's the rod holder sets I made last year out of aluminum

Yours came out really nice Willy-C!!! Mine are a little cruder but functional. My son lives in Nashua, New Hampshire about 2 hours from me. He's got all the metal working stuff to make what I wanted but he's always busy with metal fab for Hot Rod stuff. He's even got a big powder coating oven he built!!

I think I need to take some stuff down for some prettying up!! Maybe get it all coated the same camo as my boat!

Edited by Dukdog

You could try to get them dipped like they do for bows and some guns. The finish in a dip I feel is stronger and more durable. Think of how much a compound bow Bends and the finish stays put.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218