Early Spring Public Shore Fishing On or Near Canandaigua Lake?

Hey guys! My wife and I recently moved to Farmington, and we've got cabin fever ;). Although we have a 16' boat, it's currently in storage, and so we're relegated to shore fishing at this time. We were wondering if someone here could recommend any spots on Canandaigua Lake that are open to the public for shore fishing. I think things are still pretty icy around the lake right now, but we're hoping the warmer weather is coming soon, and want to have an idea where to try at ice out. Does any one have any ideas? I've heard that Onanda Park has a public fishing pier that lets you cast into fairly deep water, but I've never been there personally. Is that a decent spot to try? Any where else we should be looking? I Should mention that we're really hoping to be able to reach some early season trout that might be in close, we'd like to be able to cast to them with spoons or spinners if that's possible. If not, we would also be happy catching perch or almost anything else that might be close to shore and would be legal to fish for, except for sunfish, bluegills, and rock bass; we'll fool for those little guys at the end of my mother-in-law's dock on Keuka when the weather is better, and there's a cold adult beverage in hand ;)

Additionally, I've always heard about a Spring trout run in/around Naples at the southern end of the lake. Can anyone tell me more about this? Is this open season now, or is this for after April first? Is there decent public shore access, and what techniques would work for this area?

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help!

-CatFisher

Carl if you'd like to send me your phone number in a Personal Message I'd be glad to discuss things with you. Les

I guess not many folks here have to fish from the shore, huh?

-CatFisher[/quote

Just about 99.9 % of Canandaigua shore is private and the majority of that owned by the mega rich. You got the south end west side launch I see folks fish from their. You would need ice fishing gear now. Naples creek south end April 1st for Bows.

Edited by Hookedup

Carl if you'd like to send me your phone number in a Personal Message I'd be glad to discuss things with you. Les

Hey, Les! Thanks for the reply and offer, but could you post your suggestions here so it might help some other people too?

Thanks again!

-CatFisher

Just about 99.9 % of Canandaigua shore is private and the majority of that owned by the mega rich. You got the south end west side launch I see folks fish from their. You would need ice fishing gear now. Naples creek south end April 1st for Bows.

Hi, Hookedup! Thanks for the reply. We did realize that a lot of the lake is privately owned. I also knew about the boat launch at Woodville, but is there a pier or anyplace to fish there? Also, would you know anything about a pier or dock at Onanda Park? A friend of mine told me that's a good spot to try, but I don't know anything about it.

And April 1st down at Naples creek; got it, thanks!

-CatFisher

You didn't get a detailed reply because here on this site we try not to put exact locations of fishing spots.  especially  a fingerlake trib.  They are not like the Salmon river and aren't strong enough fisheries sustain a lot of fishing pressure.  Im sure sk8man will give you the info you need in a private msg. 

Edited by vogel451

Thanks guys, but I'm not asking for detailed info on anyone's hot spot, I'm asking only for public access places, and what they might be like if we decide to try them. Information about such places should be readily available to encourage more people to get out there, and in no way infringes on the "real" fishing from boats or private land. The Naples Creek area was just one location we were asking about (and really I was just asking about the season dates there), but we're open to other public spots on the lake, such as Onanda Park. If anyone has any information about Onanda Park, or any other places we should consider, we'd very much appreciate your help.

Thanks again!

-CatFisher

Edited by CatFisher

Also, what about the park at the very north end of the lake in Canandaigua? Can you catch early season trout from there? Really what I'm looking for is something like the public pier up at Charlotte in Rochester where you can cast spoons and spinners to early season trout and salmon. Does something like that exist on Canandaigua?

Thanks a lot!

-CF

Edited by CatFisher

Like stated above, we like to keep certain things private. Its nothing against you or anyone but these sites get a lot of lurkers who just get information and don't share it or release it to others. Private messages work great. If you want, HOT MAPs are available at Walmart probably and list public access sites. Good luck.

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, I'm certainly no lurker, I've been a member since 2010, and would have expected a bit more help from fellow LOU members. I find it hard to believe that members here routinely post about their fishing trips, conditions, places they fish, tackle/techniques they use, and if they were successful or not for all over the Great Lakes and surrounding areas, but I'm met with resistance for asking about PUBLIC fishing opportunities because right now our boat is in storage. I've also read plenty of posts from others asking about ice or water conditions, or if a boat launch is open yet, but I guess asking about the conditions at public places is just too invasive for this tight-knit group. I really just wanted to know if it's deep water out at Onanda Park, but I can take a ride out there my self this afternoon and check it out in person. 

Thanks again for the replies.

-CF

You could have saved yourself some headaches by just going with my original request to talk ion the phone in the first place. The reason I did so is I am lying in bed with a back injury and can't sit up for long periods of time typing right now....and am standing while typing at the moment.....and given your response above I think it best that you do check things out yourself...... and yes it is deep water right from shore at Onanda.

I was giving advice on the subject at hand. Not an insult or judgement. That lake has limited access like stated above. Which is why I presume no body wanted to include that there is or may be a public access outside of the ones your stating. I gave my two cents. Clearly it was tossed in the lake.

Stay safe,

Nick

You could have saved yourself some headaches by just going with my original request to talk ion the phone in the first place. The reason I did so is I am lying in bed with a back injury and can't sit up for long periods of time typing right now....and am standing while typing at the moment.....and given your response above I think it best that you do check things out yourself...... and yes it is deep water right from shore at Onanda.

Thank you, I very much appreciate the info about Onanda Park; that's really all I was asking for. And though I'm sorry to hear about your injuries, I do not do telephones for my own reasons, so that's why I declined your offer to speak with me. I would welcome any and all input anyone has by posting it here here, by email, or by PM, but I'd prefer to stay off the telephones, thanks ;) I wish you well, and hope you will be back out fishing soon.

Thanks very much for your help!

-CatFisher

I was giving advice on the subject at hand. Not an insult or judgement. That lake has limited access like stated above. Which is why I presume no body wanted to include that there is or may be a public access outside of the ones your stating. I gave my two cents. Clearly it was tossed in the lake.

Stay safe,

Nick

And as stated before, I am not a lurker. 'nuff said.

Edited by CatFisher

Maybe you're right. I was just giving info as to why guys "didn't" respond to your post. Coming from the guy who said "'nuff said", why are you still going? That's a rhetorical question. Have a nice day.

Nick

I been with this site since way before the original site got hacked and locked up. I'm still a lurker.

Your a Lurker alright! You should know some shore spots your a bobber fisherman from way back. Lets bust out the zebcos and drill a hole in the ice. :)

I dont even use this site to Lurk I just follow you two from a distance with a pair of Binoculars. .. By the way Jason you should leave the tank top on.... Lmao ... But I'm down for this Zebco Tournament. ..

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

LOL Mike! Wish I had 10 bucks for every Zebco I had as a kid. The Tank tops not to bad its when he ties the bottom of it up in a knot and puts on the water wings. That's when the fear sets in.

Hey Ray and jason could have a contest....... Oh I'm a luker also