Tracker Targa 17 with 9.9 pro kicker?

boho607

I own a 2005 Tracker Targa17 sc with a 90 hp Merc.  The 90hp Mercury 2 stroke doesn't suit my trolling needs on small and shallow lakes for musky or shallow trolling on Seneca. It's very loud and doesn't achieve the speeds I need. I also want a back up motor for safety when I'm trolling Ontario.I would like to add a 9.9 Mercury Pro Kicker for trolling. I would like to purchase a 9.9 because in a few years I would like to upgrade to a larger boat and will need a reliable kicker. I don't know if this motor will add too much weight in the aft of my 17ft Targa. I was hoping someone with a 17ft boat had any similar experience. I figure if i move two of my three batteries to the front of the boat (24v system for Minn Kota Terrova) it should balance it out. I also figured I can mount the 9.9 pro kicker w 20" shaft right on my transom. Thanks for any suggestions!  

post-154475-0-46577500-1394604029_thumb.jpg

Edited by boho607

I own a 17 foot Lowe FS175 with the same Merc.  I have a Troll-a-matic trolling plate on the 90.  It trolls great down to 1.7!  It is a little loud and not super smooth.  But i don't fish the fingers for lakers.  And i think the little variances in the trolling speed actually helps with the kings.  I thought about doing a kicker.  I did some research and the manufacturer didn't recommend it.  I would contact a Tracker dealer.  If you do decide to add one...i'm sure a 5-8 hp would push that boat fine.  And would shave a few lbs. 

Thanks for the responses saves me a lot of hassle and frustration.

jayjay did you mount yours right on the transom and what shaft length do you recommend? 20"?

Edited by boho607