Rod labeling

I just finishes building 3 lead core set ups and 4 copper set ups. I guess I could just take a piece of surgical tape and a sharpie and write what each rod is. I was looking for other ideas on how your guys do the labels on your multiply rod setups?

For a permanent label on a rod, I use a metallic ink pen and then put a coat of rod finish over it once the ink dries.  You can border the text area with the same wraps you used for your guides as well.  For different length coppers I label the reel on the reel seat with a sharpie so I can switch it to other rods if I need to and still know what is on the reel.

Sorry - thought when you said built that you meant you built the rods.  Now I see that you meant that you rigged up your reels.  Never mind the permanent label info.

Edited by Miss em

I put a piece of tape on the reel and label it with a sharpie.  That way when you change your set up you can pull off the tape and put on a new piece or just put a new piece over it and relabel it. 

I put a piece of tape on the reel and label it with a sharpie.  That way when you change your set up you can pull off the tape and put on a new piece or just put a new piece over it and relabel it. 

:yes:

Just did these yesterday after putting new leaders on copper & leadcore.  I like the look of the labelmaker examples in other posts.

post-139532-0-68837200-1394670318_thumb.jpg

Edited by landingzone

post-151421-13946715603645_thumb.jpg

post-151421-13946715828653_thumb.jpg

I placed a label on the rod end and above the reel with the # of colors spooled on the reel. Covered the label with clear packaging tape. Have a 3,4,5,6,8,10, 12 color set-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FleetTracker

You may want to contact your local rod builder. Some have pro-level high resolution label printers and can custom print labels for you that you apply to your rods. You apply the label, then a coat of color preserver, then rod finish. Color preserver is a sealer that you can use to protect and seal the edges of the labels from the chemicals in rod finish that causes them to lift from the rods.

If your local rod builder doesn't have such a printer on hand, you can have pro quality labels made from companies like http://www.decalconnection.com/

This is sort of a premium quality solution for very professional results. It's obviously not for everyone, but it is an option to the more basic labels black on white labels that are not designed for outdoor use.