200 yards of lead core

Again,

Thanks for all your input. I currently have a 47H with 10 colors of 27# with braid backing. I was wondering if the 18# would let me get 20 colors on.

Boat Safe

Egoody

Just a suggestion - the addition of the second  ten colors of leadcore may not do what you might be thinking about.....it probability will not get down to double the depth  of the 10 colors and may be less effective in achieving depth itself (it bows out at  some certain depth and may be more and more so at increasing speeds bringing it upward) because the backing with10 colors cuts through the water better than the 20 colors of  lead core, is much clumsier to deal with, and is a "long haul" in retrieving especially with a fighting fish at the other end with  a non-high gear ratio reel....just something to think about.... You'd probably be better off if for increased depth situations you elected to use 30 lb stranded wire with Deeper Dipseys or maxed out magnums or even downriggers run back aways.

Edited by Sk8man

Sk8man,

As I'm relatively new to fishing lake Ontario and that I only get out there once or twice a year I'm trying to figure out what eqipment would work the best for me without dedicating gear that i only use rarely. I've read about every post regarding regarding wire and dipsey's and I'm thinking that I might be bettter served going with braid with dipsey's vs the cost of the wire and the amount that I would be using it. I have two Okuma 45D line counters and in a previous post I made, I was told these were too big, that I should be using the 30 class Reels if I wanted to rig them with 1000 ft of steel.

On May 3rd, ice out permitting, we're fishing out of little soudus. It seems Browns are in more of the shallow water vs any salmon and lakers will be out deep.

I have 2 cannon 10STX downriggers, so getting down deep isnt a problem, I'll have 2 lead core set ups and now the question of whether I spring for two 30 class Okumas with 1000 feet of wire. I did order two dipsey's but I don't remember the #, just that they are capable of getting down 100 ft.

Again I want to thank you and everyone who offers there suggestions and experiences. This is greatly appreciated.

Boat Safe

Egoody

Fitzwilliam, NH

As long as you aren't doing much SUMMER fishing in Lake O (and other unfortunate lakes) when the fleas are active you should be OK. Although there may be some  "loading" of fleas on the wire too but it seems less than the braid. But with some"elbow grease" the stuff can be removed....just a pain sometimes. That was my reasoning on the wire suggestion but I hear you on the expense (but it does last a long time if treated carefully- mainly tension kept on the reel at all times even during transport). We all have our "trade off"s financially and otherwise so follow your own desires after seeking input and give things a shot...it isn't going to be the end of the earth" no matter which things you try and you can always switch later if it doesn't work out....it wasn't mentioned but most of us have "been there done that" and some multiple times till we found what we like. The main thing is to have fun...Best of luck to you whichever way you decide to go. Les

P.S. Always nice to buy the "best" in equipment but not everyone is able to do so or at a given time. As I said earlier (and especially in light of your "light" fishing use - the 45DX's should  work out fine either way you go....I've used them and they are pretty decent reels for the money regardless what might have already been said. If you are primarily using your lead core without intending it being fully extended or off boards where it is best to have a section mono or braid spliced in you can probably get a lot if not all of the 20 colors on it with say 50 ft of backing to be used just to "seat" the line more evenly and prevent slippage (if that is the thing you want to try) Okuma 45DX's (since you already have them and they seem heavier duty to me than the 30's) can be used with the wire but with more backing....and a twilli tip or roller tip on the rod -very important.

Edited by Sk8man

The wire isn't that much more than braid.  And it's a lot more versatile and effective!  You can put wire on your 45's...just put a bunch of 40 lbs big game line as backing (to take up space) then your 1,000 ft of wire.  You want your reel full or the linecounter won;t be accurate.  You'd be better off running a 200 or 300 copper to achieve greater depth than a 10 color lead.  But on May 3rd all you'll need in sodus is flat lines and downriggers.  Maybe some short cores.  Most of the fishing is surface to 10 ft down in 5-30 FOW. 

Does anyone know if 200 yards of 18# lead core will fit on a Daiwa 47H?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Boat Safe

Egoody

Fitzwilliam, NH

Egoody - you will not achieve double the depth with 20 colors of core compared to 10 colors of core. Once the resitance of the 200 yards of line is more than the ability to sink, you will no longer achieve any more depth. Remember, depth charts of line out vs. depth of lure are never linear.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with 200 yards of leadcore, but if it's added depth, add a copper to your arsenal and it will be more versatile for better depth.

Good luck,

Chris