zeroing in on salmon early

Did well on Ontario salmon last year but one thing I need to improve on is zeroing in on salmon earlier in the day. Most mornings I get my presentation out in around 100' at sun up and troll north until I find bait or marks on the graph. At that point I will start a east to west troll and a S type trolling pattern. It just seems many mornings I don't get on the fish until mid morning and then the early bit is over before I can fill my box. Anything I'm doing wrong or any help you can give I would like to hear from you guys. This year should be easier with a probe system but having never used it I'm sure you could give me some good advice with that as well. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.    

Have you read Dan Keating boat on Kings. Dan offers a lot of helpful info that focuses on everything from sub-temp to wind direction to wave texture, etc. Certainly location and delivery apparatus can make a huge difference. I try to re-read chapters in his book before my next trip that may apply. I think that on real sunny, clear days, kings may be present but really hug the bottom. I guess you never will figure it out completely but like any game, you try and play the percentages. Good luck this year to all of us this coming season.

Have you read Dan Keating boat on Kings. Dan offers a lot of helpful info that focuses on everything from sub-temp to wind direction to wave texture, etc. Certainly location and delivery apparatus can make a huge difference. I try to re-read chapters in his book before my next trip that may apply. I think that on real sunny, clear days, kings may be present but really hug the bottom. I guess you never will figure it out completely but like any game, you try and play the percentages. Good luck this year to all of us this coming season.

That sounds like great advice. The only problem is that salmon can't read.

Bait fish come up in the cover of darkness and start settling back down into the depths after sunrise. At 100 FOW, its hard to really see what's going on in the top 20 ft and it's been my experience on Big-O to very easily be fishing under the fish. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Agree with Tom B..  More than likely fishing under them.  Early am kings will come in close to feed and move out as morning progresses.  Probes are great but always remember kings will come out of preferred temps to feed, especially early am and dusk.  Never hurts to stop in say 40 to 50 fow on your way out to 100 and look around for bait and hooks.  If your screen looks good, drop lines, if not motor out a little more and take another look.  Some days we never get to 100fow.

Agree with others, there is a movement of the food chain upward at night.  Kings will often make inshore feeding movements under the cover of darkness.  Start in closer.....say 40' and start setting high lines of leadcore or surface line so by the time you hit your intended zone you are fully set up or you may discover the early bite is close to shore in the process. 

While its important to know where temp is, that doesnt mean you always have to fish it. Active fish can be anywhere in the water column.. More times then not, targeting the active fish on the graph, rather then the preferred temp will put more fish in the boat. Not temp, but the ability to duplicate your trolling speed is the number 1 thing that you will gain from having a probe

I will give starting closer a try, this makes perfect sense. I haven't read Dan's books but I have Keating on kings one and two. Would it be worth it to also own the book, I have heard there is more detailed info in his books. Thanks for the advice and good luck to everyone this season, that's if the ice ever melts.....Lol.   

Girlfriend called while i was seting a rigger last summer. I stopped rigger at ten feet. King hit and the phone hit the floor. We spent the rest of the day catching thirty feet and up. Thats the best part of lake O. There are no rules. There are not two days alike. Spend ten hours and its like three differant days.

Damn I can't wait any longer, its only my second year and I find myself stairing at my boat in -10c hoping the snow will melt so I can get her back in the water. May 1 seems a long time to wait

A lot of times going out in the morning in the dark or greylight, we can actually see the thermocline on our graph by setting the frequency to 200hz. This is an excellent place to start your set-up on. The fish will be in it or strongly relating to it as a lot of aquatic life gathers here in the low light. You will actually see the thermocline picture on your graph dissipate as it gets lighter out. First thing in the morning we run our lines either in it or just above it to get those early morning bites. 

Only thing i didn't see covered is moon Phaze and bright night's fish will feed all night long and in turn kills the early morning bite but more time than none it will make for a good late morning bite or afternoon bite.

If you are not popping the first rod down in the morning you need to rethink your methods. Run till you mark bait turn your boat troll right back thru the bait with your best lure at the depth of the bait. Set a dipsy next stop it at 110'. Then continue with the other two riggers, next one in to temp 50-54 the other 10' above, when your done netting fish try to get the lines back out ASAP and do it quicker so you can get the 2nd dipsy and copper in, get half your box by 7:30 then search out the hogs later in the day!

Pace yourself just right and you'll finish cleaning fish in 75 fow right in front of port at 1:30.

Edited by Captain Carl Bish

If you are not popping the first rod down in the morning you need to rethink your methods. Run till you mark bait turn your boat troll right back thru the bait with your best lure at the depth of the bait. Set a dipsy next stop it at 110'. Then continue with the other two riggers, next one in to temp 50-54 the other 10' above, when your done netting fish try to get the lines back out ASAP and do it quicker so you can get the 2nd dipsy and copper in, get half your box by 7:30 then search out the hogs later in the day!

Pace yourself just right and you'll finish cleaning fish in 75 fow right in front of port at 1:30.

sounds like you've done this before.....