Cleaners and wax?

BALLS DEEP

What is the best thing to use for cleaning my hull? It sat in the water all season and has the worst residue built up. I tried using bleach, toilet bowl cleaner and it won't even touch it. Also what is a good wax to use after I clean it? Thank you.

I guess if your asking about wax it is a fiberglass hull? If that is the case, then you could try a tub of slimy grimy. It is oxalic acid powder you mix with water as directed. Spray it on and let work a few minutes and hose off. A cheaper version of slimy grimy, and available in grocery stores, is bartenders friend.. after you use that then you need to wax the hull. I have had great result with cleaner/wax from bass pro brand.

Aluminum is another animal. Mineral acid, muriatic acid aluminum wash. It will turn the aluminum white. Then ya gotta rub the crap out of it with polish to get back a little shine. Polish is expensive..usually a big bottle of jewlers rouge suspended in petroleum base liquid like green heavy metal polish, or paste like mothers. Terry cloth towels would be best. I know you don't want it blinding, but a quick go over will bring back the aluminium color. Use a power buffer and it will shine like a brilliant alloy air car!....hand buffing sucks...that I know.. 18 aluminum wheels, 300 gallon fuel tanks and saddle boxes on the big truck!

Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3M marine fiberglass cleaner and wax ... The stuff is great but a little pricey I think I payed $120 for a gallon but it lasted 2 years best thing about it was it took off spider poop it was the only thing I found to do that !!!

3M marine fiberglass cleaner and wax ... The stuff is great but a little pricey I think I payed $120 for a gallon but it lasted 2 years best thing about it was it took off spider poop it was the only thing I found to do that !!!

I think the bass pro brand is the same 3m polish. It's good stuff!

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Marine hull cleaner even sold at walmart, also your local marinas is called "on-off" acid cleaner. works amazing. Its my best friend, Wear gloves and a mask if youre down wind or even in a close area, powerful. Good luck.

Nick

For the past few years I've been using Attwood hull cleaner on the fiberglass hull of my Whaler (can be purchased at places like Walmart in the boat accessories section). It comes in a blue colored plastic container. I empty it into an OLD BUT RINSED OUT Windex spray bottle and then spray sections of the hull with it and wait about 3 or 4 minutes and spray it off with a garden hose in an area of my driveway or side of garage where it won't get into the drainage system in the road for example. It is about $10 per container and I still have some left over usually from doing my 18 ft boat each time so it goes quite a long ways. I think it contains Oxalic acid so you have to wear gloves and eyewear for protection and don't breath the fumes but it seems to do a great job on my boat. It should be noted that I trailer mine and it never has any real heavy duty deposits on it either though. I then put a coat of combination cleaner/wax on it every once in a while.

Edited by Sk8man