Downrigger Rods

I am going to replace all of my downrigger rods this year, thinking of Diawa Heartlands, any opinions? I replaced all of my reels last year with Okuma Convector 30 class line counters, witch I'll be using. Also where to buy? I have been using Bretts Place for quite a while, but I see he is gone, any help?  Thanks

Dick - You might also want to look at the Shakespeare Ugly stick 8' 3 '' downrigger rods...very durable and versatile.

Thanks for the opinions guys, I got a chance to do some window shopping, went back home and ordered Diawa Heartlands, I guess that was what I really wanted all along, just needed a push was all- thanks again!!!

90% of the rods on my boat are Daiwa.  My Rigger rods are Daiwa Jupiters, which they sadly, no longer make, but I have a lot of the Heartlands on my boat as well.  I've been very happy with them over the years.

I like the Daiwa rods, but noticed a problem yesterday when I went to put new leader on our Heartland copper rods. Both reel seats have loosened up and can now rotate several degrees in each direction. I suspect that they weren't attached well to the rod when it was built and the heavy weight of the reels exacerbated the problem. I will be contacting Daiwa today regarding both of these rods, which are only two or three years old and purposed specifically for copper applications.

My other Heartlands are great rods.

I like the Daiwa rods, but noticed a problem yesterday when I went to put new leader on our Heartland copper rods. Both reel seats have loosened up and can now rotate several degrees in each direction. I suspect that they weren't attached well to the rod when it was built and the heavy weight of the reels exacerbated the problem. I will be contacting Daiwa today regarding both of these rods, which are only two or three years old and purposed specifically for copper applications.

Same thing has happened to me on two of my Heartlands. I used electrical tape and fixed it a bit, albeit it's not the greatest solution. I also hate how the butt cap falls off and get's stuck inside my rod holders and has to be re-glued from time to time.

That being said, I've had the same Heartlands for seven years and at $25 a pop when I purchased them, how can you go wrong? I think they go for about $35 per rod now and it's still a great deal.

Good luck,

Chris

This is an example of a rod that has two problems, and the manufacturer is responsible for both. Problem #1 is the seat on this rod is of too light a duty for the designated capacity. The fact that it turns a small amount and not completely around is an indication that it has deformed with use. If the seat was sturdy enough to remain round, it would spin completely around the blank once the adhesive bond failed. Problem #2 is the manufacturer didn't take the time to properly prepare the inside of the reel seat to assure a strong adhesive bond in the first place.

Big reels, heavy copper line, reel clamps if used, large salmon, continuing to troll while fighting fish should all be considered normal use on a rod specifically marketed as a copper trolling rod. Loose grips and reel seats is clearly shoddy quality control by the manufacturer.

This is not just a problem with these Daiwa rods, I have seen these problems from just about every manufacturer of medium and in some cases even the high-priced trolling rods, Okuma and Shimano included. If you want better from your factory grade rod, take a look at Shakespeare at the mid range pricing, and Lamiglas and St. Croix at higher price points. They are not perfect, but their build quality and component selection is certainly better IMO.

Same thing happened to my okuma copper rods. They replaced them all and I guess I'll just keep getting them replaced till they get it right.

John, your right on. Do these companies think we are putting zebco's on these copper rods? Penny wise and pound stupid for MOST of the companies.

8'3" down rigger Ugly Stiks...bought 3 rods 20 years ago for stripers and had good luck with them so I bought 5 more last year for salmon. Did have one of the new ones split while trying to free it from the release but with proof of purchase and a picture, I had a new rod within weeks. I love them!

• 4 weeks later...