Proper setup of a kicker motor

mcny

I am getting ready to install a kicker on my Penn Yan 245 contender and am hoping someone can point me at a website that will help me determine the best location. I am looking for dimensions from waterline. clearance from I/O, required travel of the mounting bracket etc. Thanks in advance for any help.  

DSC00085.jpg

This is a picture of a setup.

The height of the transom is a problem here,but you can raise the bracket considerably because the propeller does not have to be below the bottom of the transom. The best height would be with the controls just above the transom  which calls for an extra long (25 or 30 inch) shaft,but that way the kicker stays very close to the transom which makes the operating a lot better.The port side requires longer remote cables ,unless you use wireless remote. Try to keep the electronics on one side and the kicker on the other. The perfect place would be right behind the main engine  which is possible but requires some tricky mechanical skills. But it can be done.

Edited by rolmops

Rolmops. You suggest exactly what I would prefer to do which is mount it directly behind the I/O. I have played around with the idea of building a bracket out of stainless tubing that would set the kicker 3' back from the transom which is what it would need to be to clear the outdrive in the up position. I am a little concerned about the strain on the transom with the weight cantilevered out that far. The advantages are significant. It helps keep the back open to net fish. It keeps it clear of my transducers. (fishawk,Garmin FF, Cannon Digi-troll, and back up Humminbird). It also keeps it away from my corner downrigger. I am also not sure I can find the extra time to get it setup that way vs. just buying a standard bracket and mounting it. Any thoughts on the strain on the transom?

Rolmops. You suggest exactly what I would prefer to do which is mount it directly behind the I/O. I have played around with the idea of building a bracket out of stainless tubing that would set the kicker 3' back from the transom which is what it would need to be to clear the outdrive in the up position. I am a little concerned about the strain on the transom with the weight cantilevered out that far. The advantages are significant. It helps keep the back open to net fish. It keeps it clear of my transducers. (fishawk,Garmin FF, Cannon Digi-troll, and back up Humminbird). It also keeps it away from my corner downrigger. I am also not sure I can find the extra time to get it setup that way vs. just buying a standard bracket and mounting it. Any thoughts on the strain on the transom?

The bracket that I have in mind is connected to the I/O unit and right on top of the lower unit.It should have moving parts where neccesary.This leaves the kicker lower end right behind and slightly above the lower unit of the I/O. As you raise the lower unit of the I/O it raises the kicker as well. That way it has almost zero strain on the transom because it is stabilized by the I/O lower unit. which is  very important while transporting your rig. The top end would be supported by a sliding bracket connected to the transom clamp and the transom that allows the kicker to easily go up and down. At least,that is what my vision is. Now all you have to do is talk about the feasability of this idea with someone with engineering skills.

I would like Longline to give his opinion about this idea

Edited by rolmops

Doing the same thing now on a 245 Contender. Bought the Garelick 71091 (15.5" travel) and will be mounting it on the starboard side as close to the center as possible while still maintaining sufficient clearance between the outdrive and kicker. Got a new 15hp Mercury Prokicker 25" shaft w/remote controls on the way. I mounted a chute rigger so never planned on doing a centered kicker mount. Also didn't want to cantilever that much weight out back. I didn't like the idea of setting it back away from the boat taking up valued netting space either. Good luck with the Project! Exciting stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151421-13950105968107_thumb.jpg

Edited by FleetTracker

I can maybe find a photo I did on mine. Swim platform but you could even add one and add extra support like I did. Mines great. Works great.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Real mounting a kicker is sort of "what works" not so much "just like this", there are many variables and you can work with all of them. 

You need clearance from electronics, and room to turn both motors if they get out of sync without tearing each other up.

Your method of steering has an effect, if your using an arm and controlling the kicker off your main then there is a better distance than others to consider.

How high you  mount the kicker is determined by how close to the water do you want the motor of the kicker, and length of your shaft. To have more control mount with the prop low as possible, it doesn't have to be below the draft but much better if it is. 

Lots of little things to consider but the small sterns of these boats get real crowded real fast with all the stuff back there.

I can maybe find a photo I did on mine. Swim platform but you could even add one and add extra support like I did. Mines great. Works great.

Thanks, I would like to see a picture if you find one. That would certainly make it easier to get the motor if need be with it extended back beyond the outdrive.

Real mounting a kicker is sort of "what works" not so much "just like this", there are many variables and you can work with all of them. 

You need clearance from electronics, and room to turn both motors if they get out of sync without tearing each other up.

Your method of steering has an effect, if your using an arm and controlling the kicker off your main then there is a better distance than others to consider.

How high you  mount the kicker is determined by how close to the water do you want the motor of the kicker, and length of your shaft. To have more control mount with the prop low as possible, it doesn't have to be below the draft but much better if it is. 

Lots of little things to consider but the small sterns of these boats get real crowded real fast with all the stuff back there.

Ya I hear you. With all the variables It becomes tough to decide which to prioritize.

I am hoping to setup a Panther steering unit and connect it to an autopilot but that is another whole project.

I use a panther T4 with wireless remote steering. I have a 28 trophy. Yamaha 9.9ht. I am able to control my boat reasonably for the cost.. compare to an autopilot..

My unit, all panther t4 are not a fast working unit. Not meant for the nasty days. When it comes to mounting your motor, be ready, your panther can only steer so far, I recommend as center as possible without protruding onto your other electronic devices. I will take some photos of my setup when I get home and post.

Nick

Thanks for all the input. I read on here that someone did some research and the Panther unit uses the same inputs that a Raymarine T1000 uses for autopilot and it can be rigged so they work together. That is my goal.

PKomrowski - Do you mean you use an ez-steer bracket with your autopilot and the main engine shutoff? That would be ideal but I did'y think the hydraulics would work with the engine off.

I use a panther T4 with wireless remote steering. I have a 28 trophy. Yamaha 9.9ht. I am able to control my boat reasonably for the cost.. compare to an autopilot..

My unit, all panther t4 are not a fast working unit. Not meant for the nasty days. When it comes to mounting your motor, be ready, your panther can only steer so far, I recommend as center as possible without protruding onto your other electronic devices. I will take some photos of my setup when I get home and post.

Nick

After what we experienced last fall on your boat when the panther seized during operation and the boat did a tight half circle and tangled everything in the water, I could never think about getting one. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I found the problem devin. My remote went bad. I just installed a new one today. That day alone was a season ended for sure. It was pure he!!. Lol