I need opinions!

I have a 24ft penn yan contender 245! I jus bought otters and big Jon planer reels. I would like to know where on my hard top would be the best place to mount my secondary pulley. I thought that maybe four to six inches back from the very front of the hard top may be the best place. I got to thinking about it and think that it may be to far forward but then again I don't really know. I want to be sure of the best location before drilling the holes. Here is a picture to give you guys a rough idea what I'm working with. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Are there grab rails on top of the hardtop?  I installed some rail clamps to the rails on the hardtop of my Thompson and added the front pulleys to those.

P4120008.jpg

I got them from West Marine.  Sorry about the crappy pic.  I'll try and get a better shot if I can ever pull the tarp off this spring.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

As it looks you have no grabrails, I'd buy some and mount them like Tim's.

I have mine the same way and they work great, mounted them as far forward as I could and use a small string attached to the planer lines to pull them back within reach to set lines.

Edited by Splitshot115

My hardtop is similar to yours. And my mounts are only a foot or so from the back (stern) of the hard top. And they work great and rope is not bad at all to grab on and boards run mint especially with double keels. U can see it in this pic. My boat is the 29 trophy so back deck is pretty long but it works out good.

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-144765-13950900951842_thumb.jpg

The problem with having them back so far is when you make a turn, a little to sharp there is a great chance to get the tow line caught on a rod and then over board. Just something you have to be aware of.

Capt Rich

No the springs are not necessary, in fact those were originally from my weak pulling Wille Board Mast and board setup, but didn't last a single day with how hard my Amish Outfitters Redwood Boards pull, they were stretched right out.   The pulleys are now mounted directly to the rail clamps and I have the Amish Outfitters Board Snubbers inline at the end of the tow line to provide some cushion from the strain of pulling the boards.

I agree you want them as far forward as possible.  Mine are back a foot or so from the front of the grab rail, simply so that the tow lines will clear the VHF and pole mounted GPS antennas that are mounted on either side of the front of the cockpit.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

My hardtop is similar to yours. And my mounts are only a foot or so from the back (stern) of the hard top. And they work great and rope is not bad at all to grab on and boards run mint especially with double keels. U can see it in this pic. My boat is the 29 trophy so back deck is pretty long but it works out good.

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That a Walker rigger motor I see your using for a reel?

Bought the same grab rail clamps for mine today Tim. I have the Amish snubbers so will forego the spring. I'm also rigging a new-to-me 245 Contender. Thanks for posting pics!

To me the most important thing is to be able to get to the line. Sounds simple maybe, but its surprising how difficult it can be in a bit of wave action or when the boat is drifting sideways or turning.

This is personal and the height of the pulleys from the deck, how tall you are these all go into play.  One set up for a short guy will not work for a tall guy, some guys like a rope with a ring on the line to pull it in, others hate it. I don't like it as the rings always seem to jam up the rope going in or out, so I like to be able to reach it by hand most of the time, so I put my toward the back.

I want to reach it with my one hand and hook up and go. So I mounted mine where I can do that. Yes I have to watch the poles and the line when making turns, sometimes I have to move a pole. It is a trade off, with doing it that way.