Need the curent best pricing on Raymarine EV-200 Sport Pilot Autopilot - T70159

vetting

So I got mine in the mail today.  Are you supposed to hook up the rudder reference to the ram on the steering rack somehow?

Ray tech told me that rudder reference is for inboard engines that are steered with a rudder. that along with the 7ft. red & black cable is not required on an inboard - outdrive

It's like right in front of manual Guy at raymarine said if I had 2 batt I'll be fine. He said this thing draws crazy power

ya I found it in general information. I would think when you start your engine, your starter will draw all the power reducing the power to the ACU. once your engine is running you will be fine. Normally you wouldn't start your pilot till your engine is running. The fishfinder and UHF radio are the only things running on my boat while the engine is off  Having said that I think 2 batteries is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Started my install today and I have a question on the Smartpilot X-5R Drive. I held the wheel to starboard lock and tied the stern drive off. Drilled the torque restraint as directed. Where I get lost is installing the drive. I had to roll the drive up to align the woodruff key and steering shaft and then rotate the unit down to connect to the torque restraint. The directions did not seem very clear on this part of the install and I do not want to damage the unit. It just seems to me that you would install the drive with the stern drive centered. I'm probably missing something simple but I thought it would be better to ask. I know many members have recently purchased this unit and have probably successfully installed them already.

Thanks for the help,

Eric

Installing same unit on my boat. Also has to do the same thing as you did to align the woodruff key. Instructions didn't cover that issue anywhere. I turned drive unit short ways to align key and went with it but I am concerned about it as well. Other than that install going smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Had the same situation when I started my install today.  If you turn all the way to starboard lock there is no way to line up the unit and have it in the proper alignment.  Im not sure why it even matters.  So did you end up must force turning the drive unit so the key matches up?

Well that's dumb:)

They really need to update their instructions.

On a side note - they guy who was helping with the install said the parts were a lot sturdier then their older units.

i just had Kevin Jerge from Wilson Harbor marine install an EV-100.  Very professional and did an oustanding job.  i was able to wait while he installed it.  Worth the time saving to have him install it versus the learning curve it would have taken for me to install it myself.  Plus he is a certified installer and if there are any issues he comes to the boat to fix it.  worth every penny.

Shake, Thank you for your research and sharing of info. Very much appreciated. Install of my unit has been very easy otherwise. Just gotta get boat on water and go thru calibration process at this point. Will post results when I get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sea test was yesterday. system worked as it should. pretty basic set up. once you input asked info it does everything else on its own. I found there is a lot of paper work relating to each component that repeats the instructions. There is one double page with numbered steps that take you though everything you need to start up. One problem I had was installing the wheel drive set my steering wheel out at least an inch, my controls now hit the steering knob I have on my wheel. will need to remove this. too bad.

Wynfisherman. for cable steered boats all you will need to add is power cables, fuse or circuit breaker & ground wire. don't know about hydraulic requirements.

How well did it hold track?  How slow where you going, and how big of waves?  Im looking at using a Sportpilot on my IO this year, but I need it to hold course when trolling at walleye speeds....like 1.5mph in 3ft waves

How well did it hold track?  How slow where you going, and how big of waves?  Im looking at using a Sportpilot on my IO this year, but I need it to hold course when trolling at walleye speeds....like 1.5mph in 3ft waves

Ok didn't do much first time out, busy trying to find fish. out today in 2ft waves,10 mph wind,  not too impressed, at a slow troll I was all over the place. couldn't hold track. At cruising speed it was working hard but without any error codes, it kept up. Wife said she could tell when I turned on the pilot. ( spray coming into cockpit ) To be fair, I haven't tested it enough yet. but so far not great. My boat is a 2359 trophy. this is a hardtop pilothouse, its high and heavy, engine is 5.7 merc with alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive. will get out Friday and try to spend a bit more time testing. We are running and gunning right now so nobody wants to check out my new autopilot. will be on a buddies boat tomorrow but Friday I will go solo and test this pilot better. will post back.

Ok didn't do much first time out, busy trying to find fish. out today in 2ft waves,10 mph wind,  not too impressed, at a slow troll I was all over the place. couldn't hold track. At cruising speed it was working hard but without any error codes, it kept up. Wife said she could tell when I turned on the pilot. ( spray coming into cockpit ) To be fair, I haven't tested it enough yet. but so far not great. My boat is a 2359 trophy. this is a hardtop pilothouse, its high and heavy, engine is 5.7 merc with alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive. will get out Friday and try to spend a bit more time testing. We are running and gunning right now so nobody wants to check out my new autopilot. will be on a buddies boat tomorrow but Friday I will go solo and test this pilot better. will post back.

I have a very similar boat. A Bayliner Express Cruiser 2252 hardtop with Merc I/O. Your news is disappointing. I had high hopes of being able to troll with the new EVO200 Sportpilot. Let me know if you are able to tweek it's performance for trolling applications.