Need the curent best pricing on Raymarine EV-200 Sport Pilot Autopilot - T70159

vetting

I am currently also installing the sport pilot helm unit with the ACU 200. It is very disappointing with the user manual not being much of a help and seems to not be updated to this new unit. The wires to the sport pilot are red and black. The manual says that these are a blue and brown. Not sure if the red wire is the A wire or the B wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated! - Apple Boy

For the wires being different colors…i have heard this about the new units.  I believe when you hook them up, if you have them reversed…pushing right on the control head will make the drive unit go left, and vice versa.  So you just switch the wires the other way.  does that make sense?  It has to do with the polarity.

That is the difference with US and European standard, the Brown and Blue are the colors used there.  Hook the Red to Motor A and Black to Motor B to start, then during dockside check make sure the autopilot moves the rudder in the correct direction Port and Starboard, if they move in opposite direction, switch the Motor wires.

Used boat first time this weekend with the AP installed. Didn't get through calibration process successfully as instructions didn't match head options. Unit did operate nicely as far as holding a straight course which was nice for setting rods and landing. Will work out bugs with a little more time and calls to Raymarine . Overall I would never troll without one ever again

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

how slow did you troll with the autopilot on?  heading into the waves?  or with the waves at your stern?  did it keep you straight enough to keep lines from tangling?  how many rods where you running?

Trolled as slow as 1.8 mph into and with waves for what was out there Sat. Help a track straight as an arrow and was able to work the rods and net fish without a problem. Don't know how we fished before without one

wow.  that sounds awesome.  Looks like I will be ordering one ASAP.  what body of water were you fishing on?  Any tips or tricks with the install?  Are you  using a rudder feedback with it?

Any update on who has the best price?  Looks like HodgesMarine is the cheapest I can find it

Edited by jigstick

Fished on Lake O out of Mexico. Didn't do a rudder reference only boat. Bought my unit through Hodges also. Just read instructions thoroughly a few times before you start and plan wiring layouts and runs. Took me about 2 hours total to install mine I got the SPX 5 wheel mount. I also had to order a NavPod from hodges to mount the control head in since I had no room in dash for it

Fished on Lake O out of Mexico. Didn't do a rudder reference only boat. Bought my unit through Hodges also. Just read instructions thoroughly a few times before you start and plan wiring layouts and runs. Took me about 2 hours total to install mine I got the SPX 5 wheel mount. I also had to order a NavPod from hodges to mount the control head in since I had no room in dash for it

So you aren't using the newer Evolution200 Sportpilot?

nope The unit your looking at is better than what I got which is better design for boats with hydraulic steering.  In fact mine is discontinued found that out after I bought it or I would have went with the EV 200.

It's loud but I'm half deaf. When I was on back of boat playing with rods and stereo going never heard it. Noise it makes is little compared to the freedom you gain from being stuck at the wheel

Im pumped.  Im waiting for Vetting to chime in on his once he gets his boat in the water.  If he can duplicate your results then I will be 100% convinced that this Sportpilot can handle walleye trolling.  Ive redone all of my electrical system, and started a Raymarine Seatalk backbone with my A60 Plotter in anticipation of installing this Sportpilot.  I have high hopes now.  

I wanted to go that route but I have an older Elite 5 that I can't find the cable to hook up names 0183. Also had questions on setting up the backbone. Sounds like you got hardest part nailed down. Good luck. Let's us know how it comes out

any anyone post a pic of the Sportpilot drive unit mounted to their steering wheel?  The way my dash is, I'm having a hard time figuring out how I am going to be able to mount the swing down support bracket on the drive unit without some serious ingenuity

gallery_154935_13_36046.jpg

Its hard to see in the picture.  But at the base of my steering wheel is a hockey puck sized housing that contains my non-feedback gears.  That housing is only 1/4in from the bottom of the dash.  Then, as you can see, the dash stops.  The closest fiberglass is recessed back about 3-4inches.  Once the drive unit is mounted in place, my guess is, its going to be 6-8inches of swing for the bracket to reach back to the fiberglass.  Do you think it will reach, or do you think I am going to have to fabricate some type of support bracket?

Yeah looks like you are going to have make a bracket.  There is a lot of swing to it, but then more you swing it out I would assume there is more torque on the mount. 

Does anyone know if the drive in the new Evo Sports is the same drive that was in the Sportpilot Plus?

I swear I saw a picture of the drive unit mounted sideways, going horizontally across the dash.  I wonder if it can be installed like that...?

That's interesting I don't see why it wouldn't work doing it that way if it doesn't get in way of ignition switch and any wiring hiding behind dash or your steering cables