What's the best downrigger Release?

I would like to get some professional or non professional opinions on what the best release for all species of fish would be. Last year I used the Cannon clamp style and it worked but it frayed my 10lb test after minimal uses!! Sure use heaver line right! I'm going to stick with my 10lb but possibly try a new style release>

This is the one I currently use CANNON

cannon.jpg

Black's

Blacks.jpg

Bigjon

bigjon.jpg

Any suggestions ?

Set the blacks tight then use a rubber band wrap it around the line and put it in the blacks. I think it's a lot easier on my line instead of wrapping the line around the metal clip it self. I read it in Keating on kings book and it lets me crank down on my rods so I don't have a big bow in my line. It also lets me see smaller fish because they don't break the band and the rods bounces.

Black's for us too. I've tried just about everything else out there and in my opinion you just can't duplicate release tension with any other release as well as you can with a Black's. I've been running them forever and have never had one fail either.

Blacks..."once you go black you never go back" :D because you will never get the false releases like you do with a pad style release, and you don't need a rubber band to see a shaker.....trust me I am the shaker king! I only wish they made a stacker release. I use Roemer for a stacker, but I do get false releases and the metal clip will chaffe the line fairly quick.

I NEVER get false releases with the scottys. I've used blacks on other peoples boats and really didn't care for them. I like the pinch pad style and with the long tethers on the scotty's if a fish even sniffs on a bait, you see it in the rod tip. also lets you see shakers better than the blacks.

Tim

I have no problems with false releases using the Scottys either. When I previously used Offshore pinch pad releases I would have some problems with false releases.

I run Fleaflicker in the summer and there are no issues using Scottys and FF together. Scottys are super simple to use. Maniac Jr can set my rigger rods. With all the newbies that fish with me they can easily understand what to do and there is not much they can screw up. In the rough stuff when you are rockin and rollin, they are still still real easy to use, no awkwardness at all !! I wouldn't switch to anything else.

Here's the blacks downrigger release the other image I saw was an out rigger release. This works well with the Klincher downrigger termination.blacksrigger.jpg

Gill-T this can be made into a stacker if you remove the wire from the release. You then toothpick it in place for that second rod stacked on the rigger cable.

That would be awkward as a stacker. You would have to have the release already on the downrigger wire, and then hold it with you hand as you release the ball down until you hit the desired spread from the main line, and then grap two toothpicks and jam them in the holes......all while bouncing in waves? There must be a better way.

A number 28 rubber band, very few false relaeses, very high percentage of hookups, also can see small fish who cannot break/cut rubberband, just keep them out of the sun, can be bought at any office supply store for about 2 bucks a pound

Will also throw in a vote for the rubberbands. However, we use number 16 and a large bag from staples will last us about a year and a half. We have used them out of the blacks, big jon band buster, carabeners, and snap hooks off the ball. The band buster is the easiest.

I guess I should have been more specific on the rubber bands I also use a # 16 when using spoons and a #28 or 32 when using flashers.If you also fish for Walleyes a # 12 will work great with spoons but you can't tighten your riggers down as tight. I also use band busters but designed my own.

Meatal clips on Roemers? You must have older models,all the Roemers I have use a plastic trigger. Speaking of Roemers, do any of you tackle dealers on this site know if Roemer is still in business? I am having trouble finding the Roemer release, Cabelas says they are discontinued and the Roemer website is down. Say it aint so, been using them for years.