What's the best downrigger Release?

The lower metal loop on the Roemer...not really a clip, but it has a small bump to keep the line in the release. After a few releases, I found that little bump puts a kink in the line. I am going to try to figure out a way to make the Black's work as a stacker....I just can't find a stacker on the market that I can fall in love with yet.

haven't tried it yet ray? works fine, you'll like it. no need to loop line up thru jaw and back down thru metal loop again like the directions tell ya. basically you're just turning the roamer into a black for release purposes and still have the convenience of the roamer for stacking. glad to hear on here about the chance of roemer being out of business. will keep my eye open for them now and start stocking up.

Gill-t -simply take a piece of electrical tape and tape over the side that the clip comes out on. This prevents the loss of clip by capturing it. Another suggestion is to take a rubber band loop it over the end of the boom, have it capture the black "Hook" keeping it in place thus allowing you to lower the weight to your preferred depth. That way you never need to remove the clip itself.Then lock it in position and finish lowering it. Having said that, I agree that the Roemer's are the way to go as far as stacking, esp with the adjustible tension setting. Another nice feature that the clip trips automatically when the clip hits the end of the boom thus allowing it to freely slide downwards. I use these as stackers, but as mentioned earlier, the Scotty's off the ball I.M.O. are tough to beat.

• 3 weeks later...

Why am I getting a PM from John Ehlers to try the strike saver release? If you've got something to sell, try posting some pics in the Fishing Reports section to show they work. Then MAYBE I'll try them. GEEZ I hate getting that spam stuff. :devil:

• 6 months later...

Blacks. Take care of them & they'll last a long long time. I.E. Release the tension on them between trips, keep out of sunlight when not in use, keep out of "heat". I just replaced a couple that were over 20 years old.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

When I fish on Rod's boat we use the Scottys.

I personally like the Blacks. Easy to adjust tension and since I fish on both Lake O and Lake Erie for salmon and walleyes, it makes it easier to adjust accordingly.

Both work just fine,

Jeff

I agree with you Jeff, both work well and I guess It really comes down to personal preference. I use the scotty releases but I like the Blacks also. I never get false releases on the Scotty and I can really load them tight, so I figure If It ain't broke....dont fix It :D . Listining to you guys though, we may have to give the Roemer stacker a try next spring. When we stack, we use the Scotty stacker and It's fine, but you have to stop the rigger when It gets to the top and remove It. Sounds like that's not the case with the Roemer? I have one or two on the boat but never tried them?

• 4 months later...

Surfing the web today I found the roemer site is back up. Looks like they are making them again! I also had problems last year with lighter line and the roemer kinking them and weakening the line. I was thinking of screwing a pinch pad release to the roemer. Reason being on my coated cable when retrieving the weight the clip on stacking pinch pad slides down the cable cutting thru the coating. A roemer just pops the cam clip and away it slides no issues with cable damage.

Anyone have any other reccomendations for the coated cable for stacking that wont damage on weight retrieval? I try to stop it in time to prevent the sliding but I have mag 10's and they crank.

Spike

Sharkbait,

Enjoyed reading the posts and opinion's about what type of release is the best on the

market now. I have had a little experience fishing several of the Great Lakes as well as

about five different Finger Lakes in New York as both a recreational fishermen as well

as a Charter Boat Captain with almost 25,000 hours on my boat. I started in 1981.

My number one release is the black. The black is a very versitile release for both large

and small fish, and the tension setting screw and ease of setting is a no brainer.

The price is competitive and the reiibility is next to none.

Pinchpad releases have cost me to many fish and allot of gear, so I am sticking with

the black releases.

My best application for stacker releases is the elberta clipper from legendary products.

which is one of John Emory's inventions. They can be found online at http://www.legendary

product.com , or at some Gander Mountain stores.

Good fishing

Mike C

Jim from Owasco Lake RE: where to purchase Black Releases?

Jim, call Rob the fishing manager at Gander Mountain, Cicero

at 315-698-1100 ext 4 and he should be able to hook you up.

I know you have a Bass Pro at the Finger Lakes Mall, but they

are very weak on Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes.

The store managers and fishing department managers at the

Gander Mountain stores have allot more local say than Bass Pro.

Everything at Bass Pro has to be approved by somebody in the

midwest before you have a chance to see it locally.

Good luck

Mike C