Raymarine SportPilot X-5R

JakeyBaby

I am trying to install my mechanical drive auto pilot on my boat. It seems to me that there is an excessive amount of play in the drive unit that mounts to the steering colum ( the brass coupling to the drive housing). Which that play continues all the way out the steering wheel with prolly 3/8 play in any direction. It just doesn't seem right to me for it to move as much as it does. Is this normal for these unit s to move that much? Any help would be great since this is my first ever install.

Thanks Alot

MATT

There shouldn't be anywhere near that amount of play - I have the same unit and in fact it's extremely stiff when in standby mode.

I'm sure Hank will help you out but if I'm remembering correctly from memory there's a woodruff key (I think there may have been a big one and/or a small one) that fits on the brass stem and then the tapered collar fits over that. Why did you have to alter that key to fit?

Please keep us posted if/when you find out the reason for all the play.

Thanks,

Chris

I had to alter the key because of the position of the key way on the original steering wheel shaft was closer to the helm and the spacer would not allow the key to slide in. If that makes any sence.

I have the same unit and had the same problem. Used it for a season that way.. then it started binding to the point it took two hands to turn. Raymarine sent a new drive unit... no problem. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)