Canandaigua Going to the Naples Trout Derby April 1st.. need some help

Rainbow fisherman I can use your help.  It has been since the late 70's since I wade fished Naples Creek.  To say I'm rusty is an understatement.  I've got some med spinning rod combos with 4 and 10 # mono spooled up but I can't recall what baits other than some sponge or rubber imitation eggs to use.  Don't get me wrong I've caught fish on this and other area creeks growing up in the area, but I'm getting foggy on the paticulars.  For anybody wondering, yes I got some waders.  Did ya laugh just a little?  I am coming up from Tampa, Fl where I reside now.  You helped me out alot when my brother and I went fishing on Conesus Lake and fishing near Seabreeze just off some park.  We sure had a great bunch of days of fishing with your help.  If you guys can give my brother and I some pointers on baits, line and terminal tackle for fishing the Naples trout derby in a couple weeks I'd sure appreciate it.  Thanks again, Trapper K

Sounds like your on the right track.  Best bait in my opinion is rainbow or brown eggs.  I personally would go lighter than 10lb line or maybe put a lighter fluorocarbon leader on.

Edited by vogel451

Like Vogel said....8 lb. line would be fine and natural eggs either salmon or trout are what 90% of what everyone uses.  If you attempt artificials like spinners, regulations are for single hook only......no trebles of any kind on any lure.   Don't rule out night crawlers, red worms, waxies, or any of the usual trout menu.  The largest rainbow I have caught on that stream was late in the afternoon, opening day, on a night crawler.  All this being said, the rainbow runs pale in comparison to the ones before the late 90's . This is reflected in the creel limit which is now (1) fish 15" or larger.  Good Luck

Thanks vogel1451 & Fish Junkie,

Are these salmon & trout eggs available in the local sporing goods like Suttons in town?  Are they the ones in the small jars in a liquid?  I'm coming into Rochester on the 28th and plan on coming into Nales to sign up for the derby over that weekend @ Suttons.  I'll definately go lighter on the line.  Were you also suggesting a flouro leader lighter than 8#?  Sorry to ask so many questions. I beleive I was going to use a #6 or #8 bait hook also.  Do I need to make those egg sacks with the trout eggs or just thresd them on the hook?  I vaguley remeber that they had a very light outer skin on the trout eggs.  I willl definately have some of the live bait ready to go also.  My brother and I grew up in Naples area. I can't tell you how excited we are.  Thanks again for the update on the fishing regulations also.  We'll see you out on the water!  TrapperK

Edited by TrapperK

If your already spooled with 10lb.  that will suffice....the water should be a bit off color anyways and lighter line isnt that crucial. The eggs will be wrapped in mesh netting (sacs)   Any of the major tackle shops in Rochester will have eggsacs including Suttons in Naples.  Heck,  even some of the vending machines carry them now.  Worst case scenario, there is always 1 or 2 people selling them with other baits along side the road opening day.

Hopefully the water will warm up by the first of April. The DEC shocked the creek this week and only had 8 fish from Rt 245 up past the town. Bring some of that Fla. sunshine up with you.Good luck.

• 5 years later...
On 3/21/2014 at 3:30 PM, TrapperK said:

Thanks you Fish Junkie & Get Away,

I appreciate all the insight.  it really helps my brother and I.  Look forward to fishing along side any of you that can make it this year.  TrapperK

Naples had a very good shocking with many fish. The biggest was almost 10 pounds. There ought to be a decent number of fish left in there for April 1st. Cold Brook was about the same as its been. The numbers have been dropping for years. They shocked more fish at Naples then Cold Brook. The fish in Naples were also bigger. Cold Brook still had quite a few fingerlings left from the stocking last fall. 

36 minutes ago, Trouthunter said:

Anyone know how they did on the shocking of naples creek & cold spring creek ?  thanks

Naples had a very good shocking with many fish. The biggest was almost 10 pounds. There ought to be a decent number of fish left in there for April 1st. Cold Brook was about the same as its been. The numbers have been dropping for years. They shocked more fish at Naples then Cold Brook. The fish in Naples were also bigger. Cold Brook still had quite a few fingerlings left from the stocking last fall. 

April 1st on Naples Creek.......Get to the river to find a spot on a good pool at 4 am.  Wait in the water till legal fishing time.  Watch as everyone else enters the water rolling the bank mud into the water clouding everything up.  After legal light, enjoy getting your line tangled with the people standing shoulder to shoulder with you as you try to drift a 8' section of water in front of you while hoping the people around you are not belligerent a-holes. NO THANKS.  Go the following two weeks and you will be able to find quiet water to yourself.  

April 1st on Naples Creek.......Get to the river to find a spot on a good pool at 4 am.  Wait in the water till legal fishing time.  Watch as everyone else enters the water rolling the bank mud into the water clouding everything up.  After legal light, enjoy getting your line tangled with the people standing shoulder to shoulder with you as you try to drift a 8' section of water in front of you while hoping the people around you are not belligerent a-holes. NO THANKS.  Go the following two weeks and you will be able to find quiet water to yourself.  
Amen

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Naples derby and the first day of fishing in Naples Creek is indeed a very congested and often frustrating and perplexing experience as is fishing n general in the other major trout streams on the first day but it also can be exciting so don't let that dampen your spirit either.

The major "holes" will be the most congested and people get there VERY early in the morning to nail down their favorite spots. Some spots are predictably more densely populated with fishermen than others, e..g "Digger dam", Eelpot etc.There are years when the fish have made it up to high areas in the creek to Grimes and the smaller ancillary feeder offshoots while at other times fishing may be better in the lower portions of the creek  e.g. parking area near Parrish Road, near the VFW on Rt #21 where there are a few holes. Many of the  lower points are  very brushy and muddy, with some fencing to cross in places so be prepared. Some folks use flyrods rigged with mono so that they can reach out into the stream with minimal casting, but years ago I switched to much shorter ultralight rods and spinning gear which helped to navigate the brush and tree overhangs. The way you rig up can relate heavily to water conditions e.g. whether low water flow, fast/slow water flow or current, clear or muddy. Many folks commonly use prepared egg sacks on a #6 or 8 salmon hook, with split shot placed above the swivel snap. Dependent on water conditions the number and weight of the splitshot is adjusted so the setup slowly bounces along the bottom when cast upstream from where you think the fish are holding up and then drifted toward them. Any time the line stops while drifting it could be a "line stop" indicating the trout has allowed the bait to go into its mouth so you try to pull on them at that point, sometimes it will just be your sinkers lodging in the bottom stones or debris. Other items used as bait may be round pieces of yellow, red, or orange sponge resembling egg sacks and soaked with the scent of eggs perhaps. Other potential baits are spikes (fly maggots), waxworms, night crawlers, red (manure) worms or various artificial objects. One of the most effective objects can be small jigs (especially black ones) with hair on them adjusted for weight with current conditions and tipped with a spike, single hardened egg, or small piece of worm.No treble hooks are permitted and only single hooks with a gap between the hook shaft and point of less than 1/2 inch are permitted. Carry a small short-handled landing net (handle length and net diameter are regulated check DEC regulations). I hope this information may be a little more helpful to you:smile:

Edited by Sk8man