Cleaning up old spoons

I inherited some older NK's from my brother, some of the silver backs are pretty dull. I am sure this has been asked and answered a bunch of times but what can be used to get the shine back? They also have a rust smell to them due to the split rings rusting up, is there anything to get rid of the smell?

Thanks in advance

Most silver plated spoons are lacquer dipped. You need to strip them first (lacquer thinner), polish or

buff with red rouge, clean and re-dip. Spay lacquer will work resulting in limited shine, jewelers lacquer thinned with lacquer thinner used as a dip, is much better. Beware of high humidity when re-lacquering it will cause a white haze to form.

• 2 weeks later...

I use mag wheel polish and a mr clean magic eraser.  After that just scrub them with some dish soap to clean the polish off.  Works awesome on vintage painted spoons as well. 

It seems to me that NK and others  went to some sort of Epoxy clear coat that can be tough to get off. As of last few years it sometimes peels off in sheets as it does not bond well w/ the silver plate for some reason. I polish w /car wax then wipe w/ paint thinner to get good bond of paint & clear coat. I went to Rustolium Clear coat enamel. About 3-4 coats .Follow dry times before recoating.