Mounting Bert’s Track System directly to the gunnels

Fishbowl836

Has anyone ever had success mounting the Bert’s Track System directly to the gunnels of a boat?  My boat has a narrow gunnel which is approximately 2†wide and I was thinking about mounting the track directly to the gunnels.  Does anybody have ideas or suggestions that have worked for you?  Thank you for your time.   

You can mount directly to the gunnel, but as stated before, you should have a backing plate under the gunnel. You could use aluminum, stainless or I would use starboard. Good Luck

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If your gunnels are only 2" wide that probably isn't wide enough for the hole pattern of the track. Maybe you would need to make some sort of stantion to mount to the gunnel first.

If you browse the Traxstech website you can see some different mounting options. I don't know if Berts offers mounting accessories.

If it ends up that you can place the track flat on the gunnel and get all the bolts in, caulk it with 4200, 5200, or Lifecaulk between the track and gunnel and back up the bolts underneath like the guys mentioned above.

Edited by Broadhorizons

Has anyone ever had success mounting the Bert’s Track System directly to the gunnels of a boat?  My boat has a narrow gunnel which is approximately 2†wide and I was thinking about mounting the track directly to the gunnels.  Does anybody have ideas or suggestions that have worked for you?  Thank you for your time.   

I have the same issue, 1982 Sea Ray cuddy, the track system will work I use them, fist time I made small plates to mount everything, then I bought a 12" piece from Cabelas knowing I could return it if it didn't work, but it did work. I only use the plates that fit into the tracks themselves because I made my own planer masts and rod trees. I also used a 1 7/8 inch piece that fit under the tracks for more support.