latest Ice update on Lake Ontario

We need people to drill a bunch of hopes in the existing ice in the bays and launching areas! We should take up a collection. $1 a hole! I'd donate $100 to have holes drilled at Wrights landing or mexico launch site, lol. Think of the boost to the economy as well.

Spike

Sodus isn't exactly clear. The chute is open and the very North end of the bay is open behind Capt. Jacks and that area. The rest of the bay is about a foot thick from what I hear from a couple of ice fisherman. It does change every day though so who knows. 

You cold in theory get out with a small trailer-able boat but if the ice starts to break up and the wind blows some of it out of the bay you would have to beach the boat on the lake side to get out. ...or go to another port. 

I'd be very surprised if the bay is 100% ice free by April 5th. I know some of the guys who have charters booked that weekend have cancelled. Maybe by the weekend of April 12th it will be all clear?  I don't plan on putting in until April 20th or so. 

So I guess March lake trips will be a little tougher this years than the last few years. Looks like I will be waiting till late April to launch ths year.

Here's along the shoreline in Sodus a few days ago. Promising. A few warm days and rain in the forecast should clean this up some. On the downside it's going to blow out and muddy up the tribs that keep me occupied til I can get the boat out :(

post-149574-13961896508842_thumb.jpgpost-149574-13961896686252_thumb.jpg

well, not as bad as I thought it would be...  Mexico launch is locked with ice but it looks ready to break.  Mexico bay had some shore ice then at least a few hundred yards of open water from ninemile all the way up north as far as I could see.  Then a huge ice flow past the open water as far as I could see.  a NW wind will prolly push it back and clog up the bay...Mikes Marina is still froze up.  I talked to Beth and docks go in as soon as ice goes..

Thanks

Capt. Dave

Checked out Mexico Pt and Oswego yesterday. Both are wide open. A little floating ice out front in mexico on the easterly but both are fishable and launchable. best, mark

As of today, Sodus is ice free North of the Point and out to the lake. Coast Guard launch can be used. South of the point is still pretty thick with Ice. Arney's Marina is ice free but you can't go anywhere because the rest of the bay is a foot thick. Sodus Marina is still 75% iced in and so is Katlynns. I walked out to my slip in Sodus Marina and it was a foot or more thick at my slip. 

Here is Sodus Marina this afternoon.

20140406_153859.jpg

Well, I made another trip to mexico bay.  Little salmon, mexico launch and mikes marina are wide open but the lake did not look good.  I stopped at selkirk park and looked at lake.  lots of thick shore ice and a huge ice flow was out 1/4 mile or so with lots of iceburgs in between.  I talked to a guy that was parked there and he said the day before it was solid ice as far as he could see.  the SE wind must have moved the big flow.  Also he saw a boat out trolling and dodging the iceburgs.  I also heard the water temp was 34 degrees in the bay...I'm waiting another week.