Cayuga lake

Haven't made a report in awhile going to try to do better this year. Fished the side of Cayuga Lake last weekend did very well on the Browns haven't fished the lake in two years just because we've been able to get on Ontario in February. Every one of the 20 plus Browns that we caught had lampray scars. How bad as the lake got?? Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well on the plus side is the fact that unlike many of us you were able to get out there after them. As far as the lamprey scars it sounds a lot like the situation on Seneca some years back before they achieved some control of the lampreys. Browns are particularly vulnerable as are lakers because of their bottom oriented habits. It sure is disturbing to see beautiful fish with those nasty SOB' s attached or scarred all to hell though. It is all the more important to keep the pressure on DEC and be as supportive (vocal) of their efforts as we can regarding the lampracide treatments as there are some vocal environmental groups who either don't know anything about fishing or don't really care about it ...they are just paranoid of any chemicals introduced into the lake. Thinking back on those days when Seneca was really a "mess" we were all pretty "demoralized" but DEC really came through in the long run and things are much improved now over that period of time.....so we need to keep in mind that the changes are not real quick but the improvement is worth the wait so don't give up hope.

According to the DEC official who was in charge of shocking Catherine Creek, they will be treating with lampracide again this year. Lots of lamprey scars on the rainbow run this year. He did not know to what extent, but said Keuka, Seneca, and Cayuga will probably all be treated.  If you are an "Angler Diary Cooperator" make notes of the number of scars found on your catch. That sort of input is valuable, and much more accurate than a stream sampling of rainbows. There is a scale of 1-4 the DEC uses to rate the scar. 1 is a hit and miss, 4 is attachment and hole. Of all the trout I saw them sample, I didn't here many 2-3 remarks, so I don't think you need to over examine them, just a rough idea would do. For that matter, just noting the number of scars would be sufficient. 

The number of "cooperators" has plummeted in recent years, so if you fish much and want the DEC to know whats happening consider becoming a cooperator. This is valuable info to the DEC for management purposes. You can request the books from this email address. Be sure to let them know what lakes you fish, including Ontario so you get the right # of books.

[email protected]

I believe the lampricide treatment will be done in Seneca Lake at the Keuka Outlet (mouth area I believe) rather than Keuka Lake proper (which is not thought to have any Lampreys because of the impassible barriers in the outlet)

• 4 weeks later...