I think I'm a little like the birds I've noticed this week, Optomistic for spring! I've seen robins, geese, turkey vultures, redwings and a rumors of a killdeer. Sooooooooo,  I put new line and leaders on my brown trout rods, got out my spoons and stick baits, charged my boat batteries, cranked over my outboard and am about an hour away from being ready to launch on the big lake. Only problem is the lake may be a long way away from being ready for me.

Heard that. Soon as ice is out I'm pulling the 14 footer out to run some planar boards n sticks. Big boats gonna have to wait til the channel opens on port bay.

I'd be more concerned with the 2' of ice than the channel at the moment :)

Where is Al Gore and Global warming (oops-climate change) when you need em.  I would bet if we got Al to make a speech in Oswego, all the hot air would melt the ice immediately.  Anyone want to contribute for his speaking fee ???

If you guys were going to spool up some short lead cores for the boards, would you spool up a set for each side, 2-1 color, 2-2 colors, 2-3 colors. Or should I start with a half color, a full color, 1 1/2 colors, etc?

If you guys were going to spool up some short lead cores for the boards, would you spool up a set for each side, 2-1 color, 2-2 colors, 2-3 colors. Or should I start with a half color, a full color, 1 1/2 colors, etc?

Not to hijack but we ran 1 and 2 colors late April last yr. Obviously later you can go deeper and earlier shallower. I wouldn't bother with 1/2 cores unless your looking to go deeper like a 3 1/2 . Split shot ahead of the stick will get you down and a 1 color is like 5-7' so the difference isn't that particular at that depth (in my opinion). Deeper is a hole different story. Sometimes the extra 1/2 color can make all the difference in the world.

Again just my opinion (not just for Lake O but anywhere).

Spike

Oh yeah the one thing about using the 2 color cores in shallower water is if you slow up for some reason (got cut off by someone) those cores will drop fast and generally hang you up. Keep that in mind when you pick the water you want to target.  Don't ask how I know about this issue (lost about $50 in lures one morning running up shallow as 6' our first time out for browns).

Edited by CaptSpike

Thank you Capt. I apologize too for hijacking the thread. Kevin's post actually got me going and motivated me to spool up my own rods. This will be our first early spring brown trip and your advice is greatly appreciated.

Im seeing the signs too Kevin!  Went and shore fished cayuga last night and it had a spring feel...at least until the eyes started icing about midnite.  Im headed up to otisco today to get some things done our RV....bet it wont look so spring like there with the 2' of ice.

justin

I think I'm a little like the birds I've noticed this week, Optomistic for spring! I've seen robins, geese, turkey vultures, redwings and a rumors of a killdeer. Sooooooooo,  I put new line and leaders on my brown trout rods, got out my spoons and stick baits, charged my boat batteries, cranked over my outboard and am about an hour away from being ready to launch on the big lake. Only problem is the lake may be a long way away from being ready for me.

I'm trying to stay optomistc too Kevin! East end and the bays are not looking so good right now.But the birds are definately going into spring mode down here on the Delaware. Lot's of robins ,TV's, red wings, and the Honkers have been going bonkers staking out nesting sites . Turkey's have been doing their spring thing, gobbling and strutting for a few weeks too. Here are a couple of pictures I took yesterday of some turkeys hanging around my yard....

006-1.jpg

015.jpg

We'll be trolling somewhere soon ...might have to go west, or south a few miles !

Nice Tom choo-choo! I've seen them strutting in the snow up here as well. I don't think May is going to have to enough days to do everything I will be wanting to do at that time. I enjoy chasing browns on the lake but also like turkey hunting, walleye, pike, crappie, perch and bullhead fishing. I  would also like to try the Hudson for stripers and may even try to fit in a trip to my brothers at Cape Cod. Oh yea,also stream trout in the latter part of the month. I also may be headed to Florida to do some fishing with a buddy at the end of April. I wish May had more than 31 days!

I have the same problem Kevin! I usually go to the cape cod canal for stripers, but id like to do the hudson too, and obviously walleye as that's my main fishing, and I really enjoy spring walleye because i can get them casting instead or trolling. Probably only hunt a day or two!

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Where is Al Gore and Global warming (oops-climate change) when you need em.  I would bet if we got Al to make a speech in Oswego, all the hot air would melt the ice immediately.  Anyone want to contribute for his speaking fee ???

Lol Yea but it would only be worth going to if his pothead son joined him lol

Nice Tom choo-choo! I've seen them strutting in the snow up here as well. I don't think May is going to have to enough days to do everything I will be wanting to do at that time. I enjoy chasing browns on the lake but also like turkey hunting, walleye, pike, crappie, perch and bullhead fishing. I  would also like to try the Hudson for stripers and may even try to fit in a trip to my brothers at Cape Cod. Oh yea,also stream trout in the latter part of the month. I also may be headed to Florida to do some fishing with a buddy at the end of April. I wish May had more than 31 days!

Man ...You are going to be busy!! Looking forward to all your reports.

Springtime is awesome.....there is so much to look forward to !!

Man ...You are going to be busy!! Looking forward to all your reports.

Springtime is awesome.....there is so much to look forward to !!

You been up to camp lately Steve?

I'm heading up next weekend to open up.

Looks like the Jet Stream is going to be transitioning into a "zonal" flow beginning at the end of this week, which would mean that average conditions will start being the norm.  Upper 40's and low 50's look to be in store for us after we get through these next few days.  Hopefully get some clear days to boot to start melting down the ice.

Saw my first flock of Canada Geese for the year, honking away today.  Must have been 250-300 of them in one huge Vee. 

Unfortunately they were flying south..... :headbang:

:lol:  :lol:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Saw my first flock of Canada Geese for the year, honking away today.  Must have been 250-300 of them in one huge Vee. 

Unfortunately they were flying south..... :headbang:

:lol:  :lol:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Do you live in a cave Tom?  There has been hundreds of geese flying around Monroe County all winter.  :)