Brand line prefered?

I usually use Berkley XL but got to thinking on my light downrigger rods and my top shot core rods I could probably get away with a different line.

Keep in mind in NH we don't catch the fish the size you guys do. I have different setups for Kings but use the same lighter gear we fish local with when I come out for browns in the spring. I'm wondering what line everyone else is using as the backing on there brown rods, flat lines and top shot core reels? Not neccesarrily # test, as I know I will be using 10 lb, what brand and why is my real question.

I was checking out BPS excel mono you can get a bunch cheap and since I only use the top shots a couple months till the fish go deep. I figure I could save some $$ using cheaper line behind the cores and with a bunch of reels to fill it could be a significant savings. I'll likely stick with a decent brand on the flat line reels as those would be used on the riggers when I have to go deep. Actually been thinking about trying the core on the riggers to as I read about a stealthy approach doing so. Guess I'd need to have a problem catching fish with non cores first before trying.

Anyway what are you guys using and why?

Thanks,

Spike

I've always been a Berkley line guy. Trilene XT or Big Game. XL always seemed a little soft to me for trolling duty.

All my cores and coppers have power pro behind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Tim Bromund

Trilene XT for main line that would be placed in a release repeatedly. Trilene XL for leaders off rigger rods, or leadcore because I think it might help the action of spoons to have a limper line.

• 2 weeks later...

I run Berkeley big game. I get the cheap spools 1200 yds 9$. I run 12lb then micro swivel to 6'of 10 lb floro This is about as cheap as you can get without sacrificing quality. By placing swivel up the line and only having snap at lure It Gives it a little more action cause less resistance at lure

Edited by fathobbit0074

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience using p-line brand mono?

Thanks and

Boat Safe

Egoody

I"ve been using P-line Flourocarbon this year for leaders and really like it....

I am different on this one. I back rigger and core with 30lb dacron. $32 fior 1200'. Diameter isnt a factor as ten color is all im willing to reel in. It will not break even on rigger wire. It has no memory and lasts much longer. My leaders are the gray box pline. Works great and ive spent $ on everything listed above. 30' leaders on all.