finger lakes shocking

Reports in the local papers said that DEC shocked over 200 rainbows in Catherine Creek, including 2 over 12 pounds. Fish have not spawned yet, it looks like a good year for the "fishermen" and a horrible year for the fishery.

I haven't heard how the shocking went on the other tribs.

It seems to me that the dates for FLX trib fishing should vary from year to year, rather than being the fixed April 1 date. There are reasons for those dates (to allow the trout to spawn) but in a year like this, there might as well be no regulations.... It really bothers me that the rainbows in lakes like Canandaigua, Seneca etc  can be diminished for years so that a small number of anglers can get fish in confined spaces

andre

You are right Andre! I am not bashing tribes guys but there are more than a few groups that will have a hole surrounded and won't stop till every fish in that hole is in a truck tool box. I've seen it several times. You can loose two or three years worth of 3 to 8 pounders in one day. All those scum bags do is keep some poor kid and his dad from getting one bow in the creek that they would be happy as hell with. I know I'll be hunting for them and I don't mean the trout.

I guess at least we can now be thankful for the one rainbow limit. on Canandaigua and Seneca.....better than nothing right now... and may make the lifters a bit more inhibited from being caught with multiple fish in their possession.

I watched the first day of shocking. Most of the trout were males. First day was over 200, and they missed that many as well. lots of decent fish. 4-6lbs. A handful of fish were over 9lbs. (2) 12lbs.  Some of the recent stocked fish were even in the catch.  On the first day, they didn't make it to Croton Wall and already shocked more trout than in the last 20 years. Second day total was 36 trout, so most of the trout were in the lower stream, with few females ( about 1 out of 4 ) indicating the run is still in early stages.

I agree with you all, this year will put a hurting on the lake caught bow's. We can only hope for high and muddy water, but another thing should be considered. I have watched guys all but trample every inch of the stream in order to "herd" trout out of cover. This practice is illegal and causes serious damage to spawn beds. One thing that might be considered is regulations on wading. It's bad enough this year will be a bonanza, but consider the damage to the beds and the fertilized eggs they may contain. 

having fished the finger lakes tribs since I was very young, 29 years now. I have witnessed the hay-day of trout everywhere, the demise when the state bulldozed much of my favorite stream, the growth of the willow plantings planted after the dozing, the loss of many pool digger holes, but the one thing that doesn't change is the amount of fish taken unlawfully. the 1 fish a day limit is definitely a step in the right direction. I would like to see fishing over bedding fish illegal, a slot limit of 1 trout a day 18-24 inches, a delayed harvest, catch and release, artificial lure only from jan 1st to april 1st. only if dreams came true.... a lot of todays young fisherman may just witness what I did when I was young.

I agree, not much "sport" being taught there. These guys are once a year fishermen, at best. They get "buck fever" and will stoop to any low to "get one". Unfortunately, those sort of folks exist in all outdoor sports. Whether it be hunting, trapping or fishing their manhood is in jeopardy if they fail to get the big one. What happened to sportsmanship, educating youth, and just plain conservation of the sport?  Years ago, Tred Barta wrote an article called "Morons among us". Mostly referring to hunting, but the same applies here. Its up to us to point these individuals out, and remind them that the future of our sport is up to them to preserve or destroy it. We now have to stock rainbow trout in Seneca lake to preserve this fishery. (10,000 a yr for the past 2 yrs) Something is going wrong!

Lets not get carried away...Im not saying we couldnt use some change, but there are plenty of people fishing the tribs well within the rules.  Not everyone has or wants a boat, and we all have to SHARE the resource.  It certainly isnt the average trib fisherman's fault when trout stocks ebb.  I certainly dont support lifting and ignoring the rules set for us to follow, but I do support fishing and that includes tribs, lakes, rivers, seas, and oceans.  As far as catch and release only in the tribs goes thats easy to say when we have boats!  Good management of the fishery we need, but shore fisherman buy licenses and support our fisheries too.  Its unfortunate that there are so many lifters out there to ruin things for those that follow the rules.  I just hate to see sportsman lose sight of the fact that we should all be on the same side...

justin

so i'm all for catch and release and sportsmanship.  when i was a kid snagging was legal for salmon in the fall.  i was a lifter after that for years and have since learned far better habits and now rarely stream fish because i'm lazy and hate crowds.  that being said is stocking really that terrible of a thing?  rainbows are not native to seneca and are only there because of stocking in the 20s.  If stocking imporves the population it could increase noteriety which will increase fishing hours and thereby bring more money into local economys and put more pressure on to preserve the fishery which is really the ultimate goal.  That being said lake trout stocking is being reduced to prevent stunting so maybe that money should be used to stock rainbows?  heck we could go big picture and hope the increased popularity leads to a hatchery (my wishful thinking) which could have far reaching benefits.  if we increase the number of sportsman fishing it ultimatly improves the area and limits the ability of lifters and poachers. As a side note ecosystems are dynamic things that change regularly so it should be expected that populations may have to to supplimented to keep consistent numbers and on the other side they may have to be occasionaly culled like lake trout in keuka.  i'm not trying to support those that lift snag or herd and I certainly am not trying to bash anyone here .  I am however tying to offer a different perspective and say that banner trib fishing can if properly managed actully be a long term benefit.

justtracy i think you said it far more eloquently than I did I was limited to shore fishing for many years and saw many unethicle fisherman.  However I also met many very skilled fisherman who can and do do as much or more for the fishery than many lake fisherman. I dont think they should be punished because of some people lack of respect for regs.  I have seen boat fisherman keep illegal fish and out of season fish and over there limit just because someone has the money to buy the bigger toy doesnt guarentee there a better person

I dont think trib fishing should be banned either. It's my girlfriends favorite method of fishing.  I do however think that when 9 out of 10 guys is finishing a drift with a good rip, or fellas who herd trout out of cover without hesitation, we have a problem. Maybe more DEC presence would be good. A couple officers to patrol the entire creek isnt enough. Carpet bomb the creek with officers the first week. write a lot of tickets with hefty fines. Once that message gets out, they wont be so likely to blatantly violate the laws. As far as stocking, the only problem I have with it is it's an "indicator" that something has gone wrong. What, who knows. But more and more as the years go by (i have fished Catherine for 35+ yrs) the bad out weigh the good. It went from a gentlemans sport to an all out outlaw fest.  And with the disgust for lifting expressed here, it seems enough is enough.  Stocking has been a staple to supporting good fisheries in the finger lakes for generations. I have participated in the "Angler Diary Cooperator" program since 1983. I am well aware of the efforts taken to produce the desired results. I get the results of the studies from the DEC every year. I am 45 yrs old and never in my life have rainbows needed further stocking in Seneca lake. Is lifting a problem, yes. Does it account for the decline in numbers, probably not. ( they survived DDT spraying and whirling disease) My guess would be more the constant trampling of the creek by fellas who cant take not catching trout when the run was early and the suckers are all thats there, so they kick every hole to find them. (herding) We could debate this all we want. Truth is we need more DEC presence to deter what has become the "norm" on Catherine creek. Restore the "tradition" and get control of the lawlessness. There are probably many solutions to this problem, but more presence is needed on Catherine. That I clearly see. 

DEC stream surveys indicate that the Catherine Creek system produces an enormous number of young (less than one year old) rainbows. The same surveys also show that the number of age class two fish is pitifully small. One of the reasons for this is that the stream lacks overhead cover-which leads to greater predation from lifters, herons and also results in undesirable higher summer time water temps.

Until the habitat is restored, don't expect populations to rebound.

My own experience with catch and release rainbow fishing was a disaster. When I was a college student during the late 70's in Rochester I used to pound a small Lake Ontario trib. I had the place to myself and I could and did fish every day during the spring run. One day I really got into them and had one of those days to die for. Returning the next day I discovered many of the rainbows that I had caught and carefully released the day before dead. I had unwitting killed them with my catch and release. They could not withstand the stress, coming at a time when they are already stressed from their reproductive activities.

I do not fault those who elect to release their catch, in fact I encourage it. But let's not forget that some of those fish won't survive.

No one is saying boat fishermen are better or are more ethical. The problem I have is with the lifters and the guys that stomp up the Creek. It's no question that the fish in the creek are more vulnerable than the fish in the lake. And when you have a late year like this it won't help the population. Its always got me how you can crush the bows when they are spawning but bass, walleyes, EX you can't touch when they are spawning. Just the way seasons and laws were passed back in the day. If bass ran up stream in April to spawn they would of had a season also since they were in the creek.

Edited by Hookedup

Some of the guys on the tributary are ridiculous. For example a few years ago, we were fishing well into may, fought a tank of a bow, drop back for a brief minute or so, then the line broke, that fish was still going nuts, we watched three guys take of In a sprint to "get a hook in it". They stomped down the center of the run. They did not succeed as that fish was able to Tuck way up under what used to be the big tree below the dam. No longer there, again, another protective hole lost to a storm.

We have a great fishery and I practice c & r for what fishing in the creek I do. I wish I could slow the lifters down that keep the foul hooked fish, let's face it, there are more miles to that creek and areas that take a good hike.. officers do not have time for these...

I have spoke to an officer, and apparently it is worded somewhere that an angler legally is allowed one "lift" per drift.

I like my floats....

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pretty interesting that we protect pike, walleye, muskies and bass during the spawn but not trout and salmon. Most lakes with walleye like Conesus for example have no natural reproduction yet the season for walleye is still closed.