Snap wieghts vs leadcore vs jet divers

RD9

I fish both Walleye on Erie and Salmon on Ontario. I am an strong believer in leadcore and have switched over to using short cores instead of jet divers off the big boards mainly 3 and 5 color. Early season I run shallow running stick baits with small split shots a few feet above the lure with braid an flouro leader. When the walleye move out deeper we have traditionally run 10 jets with stick baits. My question is why wouldn't running a stick bait with a 1 oz or 1/2 oz wieght to get it in the 10 to 12 ft range work as effectively as running a ten jet or rigging up 1 to 2 color segments. I would love to have segmented cores of 2,3,4,5 but its just ends up being so many reels and the high cores are ussually only productive for a short time.

It works just as good I think it's just a matter of preference , I like running jets with snap weights or lead core together the reason being is the separation you can gain while 1 floats 1sinks when turning ect helps avoid messes and entices strikes!

I'll be going back to my jets this year. In the last 5 years of having short cores, I've not noticed any increase at all in fish hits with the cores. Maybe even less. I couldn't tell you how many fish I would catch with my jets on boards or in lines. Also, no worries about hitting bottom when in shallower. To me, I think short cores are just a fad that caught on because it was different. I can cut down on the # of rods on the boat too.

Don't kill me, this is my own opinion and I'm not speaking for anyone else!

I run a five or seven , if I need to go deeper I use snap weights, I believe there are times when they out fish all other rods put together, then there are times when they won't take a fish, so.... Out comes the coppers or a dipsy...... Gotta love this sport!!!!!!!

First off any stick bait should only need minimal weight to get down to 10 or 12' . Most stickbaits will run from  5 - 9' alone. try using inline weights from 1/8, 1/4 or 3/8ths just remember that speed will come into play once weight is used. I try targeting depths down to 15' with lures hand picked to cover depths you want to target with out weight. This is where precision trolling book comes in handy. Dead of Summer I run either 3 colors or 8 colors on my reels and cover most any depth I need with sometimes adding snap weight to backing line to get into 60 or 70 fow. Hope this helps   

Depends on what your fishing for.  Most springs, a 2 and/or 3 color core with a small red flasher or mini spindoctor and peanut fly, I can't keep em in the water as the cohos crush em all day long.

Tim