Woke up this morning and decided I had to go fishing. Went to Bear Creek and shoveled the ramp with a buddie. Half hour later we had our little tunnel down the ramp wide enough for the truck. Went home got the boat, hit the gas station, made it to the launch. Got out of the truck and no tackle on board. Back in the truck, and back home. I just knew fishing line was not going to be the ticket today. Anyways got on the water around 2pm. Fished four rods, 2 inlines and 2 off the back. Ran yollow and silver hunny bee, three thundersticks, two metalic hot green and one prizmshad. Everything took hits. Ended up 7-9. 5 Browns and 2 steelies. Both steelies were freshly spwned out with the biggest at 11lbs. Browns were 4-6 lb footballs. Off the water at four. I cant wait to get back out. Sorry no camera as it was in the truck with my phone and cigs. Hope im a little more organized next time, just had the itch.

Jeff

I for got to mention: We were trolling along when one of the inlines startes screamin back. Grab the rod and the board flies out of the water, up into the air about fourty feet. Look up and a seagul has the thunderstick in his mouth. We got it back after about a 10 min fight and a stellar net job. His beak was a little sore though.

I for got to mention: We were trolling along when one of the inlines startes screamin back. Grab the rod and the board flies out of the water, up into the air about fourty feet. Look up and a seagul has the thunderstick in his mouth. We got it back after about a 10 min fight and a stellar net job. His beak was a little sore though.

This reminds me of an incident that happened probably 10 years ago now off of Nine Mile. It was the Fall LOC and a fisherman comes over the radio saying, "You're not going to believe this, but a seagull just swooped down, took a Silver Bullet J-Plug which was floating on top of the water, took off, snapped the line and flew away with it." About 3 hours later, another fisherman gets on the radio, hailing the previous boater who lost the J-Plug earlier. A Silver Bullet J-Plug just fell from the sky into his boat! Seems the seagull didn't like the Silver Bullet and dropped it off into his cockpit. The second boater offered to meet the first guy somewhere to return his J-Plug. Crazy winged creatures!

time out .........your toast ,or toasted? try making a list for your fishing trips you know like 1. boat.2.fishing stuff,3.beer. and if you get to the lake and forgot 1,or2 or both at least ya still got number 3 to fall back on.but really i can feel your pain,i trolled for 3 hours one day and notta bite ,then as if by a message from the fish gods i realised i forgot to bring my fishing tackle and poles,so dont feel foolish about such a common oversite, thanks for the post it should help many remember those small items so often forgot that can effect the outcome of a fishing trip.just curious have you ever forgot to put the plug in,if so you can run 3 bilge pumps to remove the water faster than it can come in and save you the trouble of pulling out the boat and putting in the plug,unless you forgot your battery.hmmmmffppppt. hope this helps...

Sounds like a sweet trip jeff. Now I'm really homesick. I'd give anything to be lifting a brown into the boat about now. This work thing is getting real old real fast. Anyway, good to hear you had a good first trip, didn't even have to call the Coast Guard. LoL.

Nate

love to get out for a morning. I'll see what the old lady has planned and call you. Need to spread the new cell number around anyway. I've been hearing about this sweet March Brownie fishing for a few years now, I'd love to get a taste.

Fished with Woody 184 and another buddie today and we did 14 browns. Fished noon to 3. Hit the same things as the other day. Most fish were in the 3-5lb range with one probably around 7. Maybe he can post some pics.

It was a great day and I didnt forget anything today. Did have another gull go after a stick although he missed. The browns are eating the gobies too.

Man i cant wait anymore. Were is bear creek? what part of the lake?

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Russ: Bear Creek is just west of Pultneyville off of lake rd ( south shore on lake Ontario). Pultneyville is just west of Sodus Bay. Saiff? charters runs several boats out of pultneyville and fishes heading west. Bill states this is the best Brown Trout fishery in the month of April. I hope to make it out there next month.

Good Luck, stay safe!

Bandit 8)

To all that are planning a trip to bear Creek:

Bear Creek is a great place to launch a boat, but there are a couple of things you should know about.

Bear Creek is only open for the town of Ontario residents, who need a permit on their truck or trailer in order to launch or park in the lots there. There is ALWAYS someone there to check and if caught a fine will be levied. I believe there are now 1 day permits available for non residents. Please check with the Town Clerks Office before launching a boat there.

http://www.ontariotown.org/clerk.htm

Also, unless you want to see what kind of hand-held surface to surface missle launchers the US Army has, keep mind of the security zones around the RE Ginna Nuclear Plant - which I am sure all of you with boats know about, but it is just a few hundred yards from the mouth of Bear Creek.

Hope this helps a little bit to keep your trip hassle-free. 8)

Steve

Just put all the gadgets back on the boat and headed out of Irondequoit or Genny in the morning (SAT). Thanks to your hilarious story I'll be up all night wondering if I have all my gear in order! I do have the rods, battery, drain plug, and a thirty pack in the fish well, so I should be good!

Story reminds me of a few spring derbies ago, when Sandy wasn't producing, so we decide to pull out and head down to the Oak. My buddie and I tie down everything, put it on the trailer, and jump in the truck. A few feet up the ramp and everyone on the docks start screamin! I forgot to lock the winch and didn't put the chain on! My 15ft. Lowe was standing straight up off the back of the trailer! It busted the transducer mount and the speedometer, but motor and transom survived!