Bad luck bananas

I went out with a couple of friends a few years ago and we had been fishing since sunrise. 9:00 rolls around and we hadnt landed any yet. One of my friends asked if any of us wanted a banana. No sooner did the owner of the boat throw the entire bunch overboard. He was like "dont you know these are bad luck?!". 10 minutes later we boated a fish. I've never brought bananas on a boat since then haha.

That is so funny. Last summer we took our first trip to lake o..my dad, brother me and my son. We would listen to the VHF and when the fishing got to b slow, guys would be on the horn joking about having bananas on the dash of their boat. My son took this seriously. Later that summer we were out in my brothers boat fishing on our home lake. Not catching a thing. My son, out of nowhere says "uncle Keith, you must be hiding bananas in your boat cause we aren't catching a thing"! Man we just started rolling in laughter....

Edited by Adk1

I had a charter this summer we went 0 for 5 then I see a guy with a banana in the cabin. I threw them over board and we go 9 for 9.

This fall I walk in the cabin and see a guy eating a banana i tell him the story above and say they are bad luck. He is freaking out when two rods fire. We go on to finish with 29 walleye 3 over 13lbs.

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Edited by bayofquintecharters

Buddy and I were on big o last yr we lost 5 fish in a row I said it was like we had bananas on the boat he says yea there are two in the lunchs the lady at the diner packed for us. Chucked em ended up landing next two....... BELIEVE

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So here is a question, if you eat a banana then head onto the boat is the banana still technically on the boat?....it's in your gut right.

There is a Pat McManus short story called "The Claw of the Sea Puss".  In it, it mentions bananas being bad luck.  I wonder if that is what started the superstition?   At the time I first read the story (some 30 years ago), that was the first I heard of it.

There is a Pat McManus short story called "The Claw of the Sea Puss".  In it, it mentions bananas being bad luck.  I wonder if that is what started the superstition?   At the time I first read the story (some 30 years ago), that was the first I heard of it.

The banana bad luck started when banana boats started bringing the fruit up from central america to NY. These boats often had a real problem with spider,scorpion and snake bites. The critters came on board hidden in the bunches of bananas. Sailors were bitten on these boats while sleeping in their bunks and banana boats soon became very unpopular work places. That's how the banana bad luck thing started and grew into a superstition.

Not gonna risk it , no bananas!

In stomach or not!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

my buddy had 4 with him when we were on seneca last friday, worst trip of the year for us.

Never thought about bananas.  I take apples because they don't get bruised as easy.  I do not like to think of myself as superstitious but I do not shower before I go fishing and if a starling gets in the house, I make sure I catch it alive and release it outside alive.  You could say that would be ridiculous but I don't want to be wrong on that one.

Utter Superstitious nonsense.

Though, Paul Czarnecki would dispute that most vehemently, Right Jimmy?? :)

"Vehemently" and VIOLENTLY!!! The funny part is I was the ONLY one that saved jimmy from a long swim in very cold water that day. Like Hans said---it may be "just a silly superstition" but there are WAY too many FACTS to back it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was observing the ProAm last year, and the team I was observing for suggested I talk a little banana on their buddies boat I was gunna be on.  So the next morning when the fishing got slow and they were working on finding a good program, I grabbed my bag, reached in, looked at the capt. and asked if he was hungry and wanted a banana.  I'll never forget the look he gave me.  I thought for sure I was going overboard.  As soon as he and his crew calmed down a bit, I had to spill the beans on the whole deal.  So I'm pretty sure they believe in the 'no bananas on board.'

I also have a buddy that won't wear Fruit of the Loom anything.  Even though there isn't a banana shown, he still doesn't want to risk there being on behind all the fruit.

Utter Superstitious nonsense.

Though, Paul Czarnecki would dispute that most vehemently, Right Jimmy?? :)

ii

I think I cost him about 1500.00 bucks that day. It's funny how word spreads across the entire lake. Even the boys in Canada were laughing about it. Sorry Paul. If I had been observing for you last year, things may have been different. I was observing on Pacific Time for WHI and my wife and kids had been praying hard that day that the boat I was on would win. They came in first place.

Edited by Jimmyi

ii

I think I cost him about 1500.00 bucks that day. It's funny how word spreads across the entire lake. Even the boys in Canada were laughing about it. Sorry Paul. If I had been observing for you last year, things may have been different. I was observing on Pacific Time for WHI and my wife and kids had been praying hard that day that the boat I was on would win. They came in first

place.

It's all good Jimmy. I'm over it and glad you learned something. I'm sure Todd appreciated it last year. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app