leader flies

I'm with Tim on this one.....I like fluoro for many things especially stuff used shallow and leaders etc. but I think it helps to have a little stretch available on the flies used deeper and behind flashers and Spin Docs. I think it is still debatable whether the stiffness is really a crucial factor and also the only flies I've ever lost have been commercially tied flies using fluoro and the knots broke on them right at the fly section in each instance suggesting to me that the stuff is very brittle and  may "cut itself" off at the knots under momentary stress. I know there could be other interpretations too regarding quality of the material, age of it even when tied etc. I guess it amounts to the faith you have in whatever you have had personal success with repeatedly over time (i.e brands of fluoro or mono etc.) in the final analysis. I also tie (and re-tie) all my own flies now :)

Edited by Sk8man

Im surprised by the number of guys that are suggesting the best fly leader material is 50# mono. I understand the huge cost difference between the 2 but if money was no object would your answer be the same? 

I would admit that the cost is the main reason. I do run seagar for all my leaders except for between my dipeys - attractor, ( but not spoons.) And on my fly's. Not being a Charter and havin that xtra money coming in to support my cost for the CRACK habbit I have for this sport. So if money wasn't an option then yea I would run floro all day!

Im surprised by the number of guys that are suggesting the best fly leader material is 50# mono. I understand the huge cost difference between the 2 but if money was no object would your answer be the same? 

Yes it would. I tied fly leaders on fluoro for years (Ande and Seguar and one other brand whose name escapes me at the moment) and IMO the 50 lb Big Game performs better and I've yet to have a leader break/cut off since I made the change.

Tim

I have been using 50lb mono for years. Works great. Won a loc, boat 500 fish a year. I've never broken a leader, even up against a rigger wire. Off subject but tried pline floro coated(gray box). Another great cost saver. Stranger yet, i buy 1200 yd rools of dacron, 30lb, and back all my reels. Including coppers and lead.