Wiring Big Jon Electric Planer Board

retsey

Before I install the electric reels to my manually operated mast, just wondering if there is a need to install a circuit breaker in the system even the there is a 10 amp switch built into the pushbutton switch?

Have you ever tripped the 10 amp breaker during heavy retrieves...and can I depend on the built in breaker to actually protect my system?

What amp would you use ?? maybe 15 amp.or slow blow 10 amp?

I pull modified otter boats (x-tra keel) with two long coppers , I have had to move everything in towards boat to avoid another boat running boards, never had the breaker trip. I do have them fused at the main panel with a 15 amp. Fuse . Redundancy is a good thing for getting back to port!!

I pull modified otter boats (x-tra keel) with two long coppers , I have had to move everything in towards boat to avoid another boat running boards, never had the breaker trip. I do have them fused at the main panel with a 15 amp. Fuse . Redundancy is a good thing for getting back to port!!

Why wouldn't you put an in-line fuse of 10 amps to match the 10amp BJ fuse on the motor if you are worried about redundancy? If the 10amp fuse on the motor went, you could theoretically draw more amps than 10 and cook the motor and cause a fire.

Chris

I run two boats with BJ electric masts both are wired direct to battery . One mast has the small motors the other has the HD motors . Otter boards on both set-ups and neither has ever tripped the breakers on the motors . One set-up is two years old the other is over ten .

I would want a circuit breaker near the battery.   That will protect the wiring from the batt to the switch and motor.   That way there are no worries about shorts causing trouble between the batt. and the motors.   A circuit breaker can or will reset where a fuse you have to carry , and find spares.

Edited by Big Dave