Lake Erie ice cover

Presently over ninety per cent of the Eastern Basin is ice covered. Normally we would have thirty eight per cent coverage. Add a couple weeks for planning a trip to the Niagara Bar this spring.

That's  not going to bode to well for the perch fishing. It sucks for this recent retiree :(

Most of the ice from Lake Erie melts off before it ever reaches the lake.  I heard its something like less than 2% of all ice ever makes it to the mouth of the Niagara.  That being said, we really need some warmth and some sun to start going to work on all that ice.

Yes, once the western and central basins are open and start warming up, sometimes all it takes is a couple days of E/NE wind and the bulk of the Eastern Basin Ice gets pushed west and dissolves in the warmer water.  With the entire lake pretty much locked up this year, we'll just have to see how that progresses.

Channel 7 said 87% the other night, but if you look at current satellite image....lots of open water by

Cleveland, and some in Long Point bay.   I live on the lake in Dunkirk, and you can see the difference

in the color of the ice, and the increase mounds of piled ice.   Its moving.   50 degree 3 of next 5 days

should help greatly!

Had some time on my hands Friday afternoon so I took a ride to Ft. Niagara state park. Wanted to see what the boat launches looked like. To my surprize they were 95% ice free. Water level was quite low,but launching a boat would have been no problem.No ice in the river. Lake had about a 6 inch chop, surprized to see no boats at green can. Anyhow getting the itch,I do believe west of the river is going to be on fire longer then ever this spring. Can't wait!!!

We still will have warm water flowing into Lake Ontario from streams, ditches and municipal outfalls that will turn on the metabolism of local fish and good fishing when you locate these sites. Sideplaners and floating stickbaits near shore will be the deal now.

Lake Ontario deep water temp has gone up 2 degrees in the past 2 weeks, 3 degrees since march 1st.  It bottomed out at 33 degrees in the middle of winter and now it is up to 36. 

Your high school physics teacher will tell you the water under the ice is 39 degrees on the bottom until the turnover event happens at 39 degrees. My ice fishing camera tells me the same thing, the water on the bottom is 39 degrees F.

Your high school physics teacher will tell you the water under the ice is 39 degrees on the bottom until the turnover event happens at 39 degrees. My ice fishing camera tells me the same thing, the water on the bottom is 39 degrees F.

You are correct jimski. What you physics teacher did not tell you is if the surface cools and continues to cool it will push colder water to the bottom. Our temp sensor is on the bottom of the lake in 50' of water. We see 39 degrees for a long time in early winter. Once the up layer of the water column cools, it is gone unless we get strong east winds and upwelling in the winter. I will keep trusting our calibrated equipment.

Yes but 50' of water is not the deepest part of the lake. That being said is it 39at 600'?

More than likely. When we get an upwelling in winter we see 39 degree water again until the wind shifts. Just like temp swings in summer but not as drastic.

There is a floating barrier across the mouth of the Niagara that holds back the ice on Lake Erie.  Google it and do some reading it is interesting.  There is also a camera at the mouth that shows it.