Lake Erie ice cover

Surface ice cover does not equate with underwater ice packed deeper by the high winds that can shove ice to the bottom of the lake. We are interested mainly in surface water temperatures that control the metabolism of the fish and their catch rates. Lake Erie ice waters flow from the Niagara river mainly but also Port Weller and Port Dahlousie, the original ports of the canals.

Where is everyone getting the ice coverage percentage?

I'm sure the continued warm last night, warm this morning and imminent rain / wind will put another "whoopin'" on it today until the chill tonight / tomorrow...

C'mon Power Authority!  PULL THE BOOM!!!!

This link shows the ice coverages by day:  http://coastwatch.gl...13_2014_ice.dat

The ice needs to be at less than 250 sq. miles before they pull the boom.... that equates to about 2.5% coverage

Where is everyone getting the ice coverage percentage?

I'm sure the continued warm last night, warm this morning and imminent rain / wind will put another "whoopin'" on it today until the chill tonight / tomorrow...

C'mon Power Authority! PULL THE BOOM!!!!

What's the rush Matt? Your traditional "Memorial weekend" trip should be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Power Authority revenues from the Niagara River are a million dollars a minute and if their intakes are obstructed by ice flows more power has to be purchased from the Canadians or Carbon producing power plants.

The word I recieved today was that the Ice Boom may not get removed until the middle of May because the Ice thickness from Point Abino to Buffalo is still over 3ft thick!

Well that's the opposite of good.

Looks like the Rochester Basin is going to be the hot spot this spring.  The Niagara will be ice cold while the Genesee is dumping nice warm water into the Rochester basin of the lake.  We will see. Only time will tell.