Lake Erie ice cover

I travel the skyway to Buffalo daily and it gives you a nice 200' high view of the lake. Yesterday and today I saw a coast guard cutter out there working the ice. Hopefully that will help speed things up and the boom can come out.

Coming home to Erie from the Oak yesterday morning there was ice as far as you could see from Erie eastward. Some sheets were stacked 30 feet in the air and laid on top of other sheets. It looked like white houses as far out as you could see off Barcelona. You guys chomping at the bit to have them remove the boom should be careful what you wish for. When that boom comes out the ice ends up in our lake and , depending on wind direction, could shut the entire west end down. It happened in the late 80's and early 90's--olcott and Wilson were completely shut off!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What we need is a couple days of good stiff NE winds to push the ice field into the warmer western and central basins of Erie, where the ice will waterlog, sink/melt and go away forever.  Or at least until next winter.

Coming home to Erie from the Oak yesterday morning there was ice as far as you could see from Erie eastward. Some sheets were stacked 30 feet in the air and laid on top of other sheets. It looked like white houses as far out as you could see off Barcelona. You guys chomping at the bit to have them remove the boom should be careful what you wish for. When that boom comes out the ice ends up in our lake and , depending on wind direction, could shut the entire west end down. It happened in the late 80's and early 90's--olcott and Wilson were completely shut off!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My season doesn't start until that ice comes past so selfishly I need that to happen.

Edited by tlox

i traveled rt 5 west (skyway) from buffalo at 4pm today, up 200' on the skyway I could ice as far as Sturgeon pt and as far as I could see to the north as well. No open water at all

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1&template=subℑ=a1.14114.1828.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

From Sturgeon Point across to Point Abino, it appears to be solid ice. To the west, loose free floating ice. The southern shoreline has a lot of open water.

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/erie/e3.html

Lake Erie surface water temperature

Edited by jimski2