Lake Erie ice cover

Excuse my dumb question, but what is this ice boom that I've been reding about on this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is floating barrels in lake Erie between Buffalo and Ft. Erie at the head of the Niagara river.

It is meant to stop the ice from going down the river and into the power generators.

Call me stupid. ... but what exactly does the boom consist of? I keep hearing about it but not sure what it is or where it is?

It is floating barrels in lake Erie between Buffalo and Ft. Erie at the head of the Niagara river.

It is meant to stop the ice from going down the river and into the power generators.

Figured I would ask this in here since it is about lake Erie.  I have only fished it once out of the Small Boat Harbor in Buffalo but was looking to go back this spring but I see the Small Boat Harbor launch doesn't open until 5/15.  Is there another launch site close nearby that would be open on the 5/10 weekend?  I saw the Isle View Park, but I don't really know much about the area and didn't want to go on assumptions.

Thanks

Lower river is icing up now.  Whirlpool is full of ice,  Launches in Lewiston, Youngstown and the fort starting to see ice.  Starting to look like a minefield out there.

Edited by tlox

American- honey, you can launch from sbh. Use the docks by dugs dive, there isn't any services like security or fish cleaning station until they open.

The NFTA has blocked both access roads to the launch and retrieval docks (they are not permitting anyone to launch currently).  I called them today and they said they will be open 5/15 but are hoping to be open earlier.  The majority of the ice boom is still in and they are just opening sections to let the ice flow in a controlled fashion, allegedly they have found ice 3ft think in places against the boom.  The wind has pushed a lot of ice into the SBH and some has even entered the marina.  I would keep an eye on things before you make the ride.

Looks like the boom is about 60 - 70% out.  There is still some ice that was blown into the eastern basin by Sherkston and still some by whats left of the boom.  There really isn't a whole lot left, a few more days to be safe and i'll be putting the boat in.

Edited by tlox