Strippers in Lake Ontario

I have often thought about how fun it would be to have striped bass later know as (true bass) in Lake Ontario. I think the fishing of Ontario would increase and bring more fisherman to

The waters. As well as a grate trophy fish. I hear they are a good fighting fish and can get up to 55 inc what does everyone think?? I just thought I would bring it up.

not quite sure the lake could support another apex predator, I believe back when they decided to stock chinooks they were considering stocking stripers also/instead.

Yes, but I'm pretty positive everyone (meaning charter captains/ others making a living off of the lake/fishery) is making more money off of salmonoids and trout species in the lake than stripes bass, but wouldn't know since they are in there. In my opinion, Lake Ontario is much more suitable for what is in there now. Just my two "cents".

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Strippers? Where? Are they any good?

As for stripers, I have often thought about it. It might be nice,but it would cause a lot of competition at the top of the food pyramid. As for commercial value,they are less predictable than salmon, so that would mean another learning curve that might not be worth the bother.

I don't know about Lake Ontario, but I always thought that hybrid striped bass would do well in Conesus Lake with their problematic sawbellies which were blamed for the cause of the perch/walleye population crash back in the 80's/90's. From what I have read, the hybrids tend to school and suspend and would likely feed aggressively on bait balls of sawbellies without really competing for the native bass species. Being sterile, they would not reproduce and probably do a better job on sawbellies than the stocked tigers that were intended to do. If they knock down the sawbellies, perhaps the perch and walleye populations would rebound in that lake while the stripers would provide a inland trophy fishery. If and when the sawbelly population is either in check or disappears, then reduce or discontinue the hybrid striper stocking.

I don't know about Lake Ontario, but I always thought that hybrid striped bass would do well in Conesus Lake with their problematic sawbellies which were blamed for the cause of the perch/walleye population crash back in the 80's/90's. From what I have read, the hybrids tend to school and suspend and would likely feed aggressively on bait balls of sawbellies without really competing for the native bass species. Being sterile, they would not reproduce and probably do a better job on sawbellies than the stocked tigers that were intended to do. If they knock down the sawbellies, perhaps the perch and walleye populations would rebound in that lake while the stripers would provide a inland trophy fishery. If and when the sawbelly population is either in check or disappears, then reduce or discontinue the hybrid striper stocking.

And when the sawbellies are gone they will go for whatever else is in the lake,which because of their longevity may turn in a real problem

And when the sawbellies are gone they will go for whatever else is in the lake,which because of their longevity may turn in a real problem

The goal is to get rid of sawbellies from Conesus lake.  Sawbellies tend to favor open water - so do hybrid striped bass.  Being that the hybrid striped bass are sterile, they will eventually die...just like the thousands of sterile tiger muskies that are being stocked in that lake annually and have been for the last 20 or so years.  In 2012 - how many tigers did the NYSDEC stock?  

Conesus Lake 12000 Tiger muskellunge 10.5

How many were caught and creeled that year?  ?????   How long do tigers live and what do they prefer to eat once they get big?   

• 3 weeks later...

The goal is to get rid of sawbellies from Conesus lake.  Sawbellies tend to favor open water - so do hybrid striped bass.  Being that the hybrid striped bass are sterile, they will eventually die...just like the thousands of sterile tiger muskies that are being stocked in that lake annually and have been for the last 20 or so years.  In 2012 - how many tigers did the NYSDEC stock?  

How many were caught and creeled that year?  ?????   How long do tigers live and what do they prefer to eat once they get big?   

I like that idea about them keeping the sawbellies in check?  I have fished for wipers (White bass, striper cross) in Greers Ferry Lake, Arkansas, where the world record (25 pounds and change) comes out of, and have seen how they push balls of shad to the surface there, and massacre them.  Makes for easy and exciting fishing at dusk and dawn!!  They are hard fighting, too, like mini king salmon, on light gear! The only thing I hope you are aware of is that they don't get anywhere near the size of Stripers, and a 10 pounder is a really good one, so the whole trophy fishing thing might not be what you expect.  Just my two cents worth. :)   

They are hard fighting, too, like mini king salmon, on light gear! The only thing I hope you are aware of is that they don't get anywhere near the size of Stripers, and a 10 pounder is a really good one, so the whole trophy fishing thing might not be what you expect.  Just my two cents worth. :)   

Millions of guys spend a ton of money - boats, rods, reels, lures, guides, etc. just trying to catch a trophy 8 to 10lb largemouth...just sayin'.   :)

Millions of guys spend a ton of money - boats, rods, reels, lures, guides, etc. just trying to catch a trophy 8 to 10lb largemouth...just sayin'.   :)

Exactly, just don't expect to catch any 30-50 pound fish, is all I am saying. :yes:  :yes:

Spot on!  I have been saying this for years.  I even said it to the DEC.  Too expensive was the biggest con.  I couldn't make the state of the lake meetings but this was one of my proposals for the future.  :yes:

The goal is to get rid of sawbellies from Conesus lake. Sawbellies tend to favor open water - so do hybrid striped bass. Being that the hybrid striped bass are sterile, they will eventually die...just like the thousands of sterile tiger muskies that are being stocked in that lake annually and have been for the last 20 or so years. In 2012 - how many tigers did the NYSDEC stock?

How many were caught and creeled that year? ?? How long do tigers live and what do they prefer to eat once they get big?

Many of those 12000 tigers never reach maturity due to predation. The walleyes, bass, and tigers feed heavily on them and so do gulls and herons. Bass, tigers, and walleyes all suspend and feed on the alewives...if the alewives are gone the walleyes will spawn successfully, but what will the forage be? You wont have those huge walleye without good feed...but im game for stripers or hybrids!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Many of those 12000 tigers never reach maturity due to predation. The walleyes, bass, and tigers feed heavily on them and so do gulls and herons. Bass, tigers, and walleyes all suspend and feed on the alewives...if the alewives are gone the walleyes will spawn successfully, but what will the forage be? You wont have those huge walleye without good feed...but im game for stripers or hybrids!

Great question - Once the sawbellies are gone and or trimmed back, the predators will feed on the millions of small bluegills and pumpkinseeds as well as the growing rudd population in Conesus Lake.   If the sawbellies are gone, the perch and walleye fry will stand a chance to grow.  When I was a kid, that lake was LOADED with yellow perch.  On weekends during ice fishing season, that lake would be dotted black with THOUSANDS of fisherman over the entire lake fishing for perch.  Every perch that was caught was often spitting up hundreds of scud and daphnia from their stomachs.  Once the sawbellies became established, the perch population as well as walleye populations plummeted. If you caught perch, they were not spiting up daphnia and scud as they were wiped out by the sawbellies, they were spitting up baby alewives.  DEC saw invertebrate populations per given square meter of the bottom that the perch fry, walleye fry and young and old perch plummet.   The tiger muskie stocking to help the sawbelly population probably helps some, but I think that hybrid stripers would do a much better job and provide a great fishery for them.   I doubt that the NYSDEC will ever stock them there though.

(Stripers)   DEC. stocked them in our local lake "Beltzville Lake" to take care of the Alewives, they first tried the musky deal but that didn't work so they stocked the stripers, now people come from all over to fish for the stripers, it generated a lot of revenue for the area, and they are doing a good job on the Alewives, and the walleye fishing is picking up for a few of us, while others still struggle, the biggest striper out of Beltzville was 25#-40" not bad for a lake that's 7 miles long and 3/4 miles wide. The best way I found to catch them is I run a flasher 15ft above a live bait rig rigged with a Alewive and the other rigger I fish higher, you should see the EYES I get when you put a LakeO' rigged boat on the Beltzville lake. :o  :o  :hi:  :hi:

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb ass Idea! Can't be happy with what you have. They stocked stripers in a local lake because they wanted to have big bass to catch. They stocked shad to make shore they had lots of feed. The problem is there is never enough feeding. They ran bait for a year or two till they eat all the bait. Then we would see schools of small mouth what we thought were running bait and then we saw them. That's right the stripers were chasing the small mouth and eating them. They eat all the feed in the lake. It was so bad we were having bass torney and the big bass was 1.5lbs. It has been 10+ years and we are still trying to regenerate the lake. Ontario has enough fish to catch. Hell the salmon are starting naturally reproduce. You want to catch stripers go to a lake that has them. We still don't know what the carp are going to do when the hit the lakes!

Strippers? Where? Are they any good?

As for stripers, I have often thought about it. It might be nice,but it would cause a lot of competition at the top of the food pyramid. As for commercial value,they are less predictable than salmon, so that would mean another learning curve that might not be worth the bother.

YES a lot of pressure on the feed supply.

As stated before, they would benefit lakes where there isn't sufficient predation on alewives such as Conesus.  I do not know or believe that adding them to Lake Ontario is a good thing.  I absolutely have only heard that cost is a primary deternet to adding them to inland lakes. Poor angler results and the fishes desire to migrate were the other two.  Not any of that other testimonial stuff about over eating (not that I don't believe it could happen with poor management).  If the food source runs out, you stop stocking them.  Managing the alewives will encourage better angling results as well as remediate the panfish population. 

Again, I am referring to the hybrids.  Not full strain inland striper.  I would leave Lake O as it is.  Every year someone mentions putting stripers in there.  It doesn't make sense.  Salmon and steelhead do awesome in there.  Why mess with that?  It is a (relatively) short drive to the Hudson river and they are swimming around in there right now. Go get some.  It is a blast!