Leaders?

Been fishing the lake for a couple of years now,haven't been able to get out as much as I would like,and have not done real well,this site has been very helpful,just a question on using leaders,I have been using snap swivels directly to my lures,been reading and hearing the use of leaders in one topic for the spring Brown trout,about a 6-8' of 8-10# test tied to the lure of a barrel swivel?is this correct,and will it make difference,as usual,any and all help is welcome and appreciated, thanks Giz

My bet is you'll get a bunch of different answers here... :) . I've experimented over the years with a lot of different setups and now basically for me it depends on what I'm running and even how deep. Browns are notoriously "line shy" which is the main reason for using the lightest fluoro leader you can get away with. Water conditions also play into things. If you are riding the mud line and going in and out of cloudy water the line weight, leader length and terminus selected (smallest black ball bearing swivel, smallest yet strongest duolock snap, or black Fastsnap) become less important than when you are fishing clear water in shallow and especially in the Finger Lakes where the water can be much clearer than Lake O. I also run my lines back much further back than usual (whether on boards or not - varies depending on wind/wave conditions). With that said if I'm running speed "tolerant" stick baits I often go with either a tiny black swivel snap (if changing lures very frequently) or duolock directly to the lure with a tiny black barrel swivel tied at the other end of it to my main mono line. For "fussier" sticks that may even have to be "tuned" beforehand they sometimes work better tied directly to the end of the light fluoro leader with a loop type knot that allows the lure to be free to "roam" a bit (or you can "adjust it for tighter running) or I use Fastsnaps (Size Large is really quite small). With most spoons either a very small black (SOLID RING) ball bearing swivel (for quick changes) or small black duolocks or Fastsnaps with a small black barrel spliced in above where the leader meets the main line. I also run various lengths on my leaders and have even used 4 6 lb test fluoro on the Finger Lakes with a light drag setting (not on Lake O though  :lol: ) I think this may cover some of the basic ways anyhow.

Edited by Sk8man

Well there are two things.  First is the size of your snapswivels will effect the lure action you want the smallest and strongest that will do the job.  Get good ones don't cheap out.  Second , browns in shallow water are skitterish and line shy.   I like a dulock snap with about a 10' florocarbon leader to a small barrel swivel ( I like spro) that will go through the guides on the rod and the level wind of the reel .   This is what I use on Cayuga for the landlocks too.  I know you will get more replies .  Oh the dulock snap has a round bend and won't effect the action of a spoon like a snap that is more of an angler bend.

Edited by Big Dave

However you attach the lure, make sure you tune it for best action.  Some guys are always hunting for the best way to attach the lure but it's secondary and sometimes thirdly to having a well tuned lure.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

What I have been doing for quite a few years now is tie a #8 spro power swivel between the main line and fluorocarbon leader, then a small duolock snap to the lure. The round bend of the duolock doesn't restrict the action of a spoon or stickbait, yet makes lure changes easy. The small spro swivel will slide right throuth the rod guides and even throught the reel level wind if your leader is that long.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well there are two things.  First is the size of your snapswivels will effect the lure action you want the smallest and strongest that will do the job.  Get good ones don't cheap out.  Second , browns in shallow water are skitterish and line shy.   I like a dulock snap with about a 10' florocarbon leader to a small barrel swivel ( I like spro) that will go through the guides on the rod and the level wind of the reel .   This is what I use on Cayuga for the landlocks too.  I know you will get more replies .  Oh the dulock snap has a round bend and won't effect the action of a spoon like a snap that is more of an angler bend.

Ditto!  :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

I get all confused as to the lb ratings compared to size of swivel. Are they uniform or no? I have been using the solid ring coast lock swivels. Pretty sure they are the bass pro brand but are solid ring. This was for salmon. Can't remember the size now, but had three different sizes.

• 3 weeks later...

I like a good ball bearing swivel about 5-8' above a dulock snap.  The ball bearing keeps your line from getting twisted up.  I run fluorocarbon line and leaders.  I have five reels loaded with 8# fluoro, same line used for the leader.  Then another 4 reels loaded with 12# fluoro.  Same line again for the leader.  I pay attention to my line and leader and trim it if I feel any nicks or abrasions.  I use the 8# for browns, then just switch reels to the 12# for kings.  I use Berkley Cherrywood downrigger rods (CWGC862DR); cheap but they get the job done nicely.  I think that  the long bendy rod provides a lot of forgiveness with the light line.