Boat name origins

Every once in a while some one post this question on various sites. So since the start of the season is quickly approaching and there is many who are new comers let's list some again-

Boat name- HeavenBound-

Home port- Oak Orchard

Boat name origin- A good friend of mine Dave Guth ( use to go by Guppy and, whom I fished with for over 20 years) was just getting ready to semi-retire. He and his wife just bought a 35 trailer and put in at North of the ridge campground .They also just purchased a 24' Penn Yan the fourth week of Aug of 03- Well to make a long story short. on Sept, 12th just 2 weeks later he was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I was the first he told. On Dec 27th he passed away of that year. 5 days before he passed away, he told me that he wanted to give me the boat as an act of our friendship. No compensation wanted, he was adamant about it. Well in the mean time i was trying to witness to Dave and firmly believe that he was right with the Lord. So I believe that even though he is not here in person, he now stands before God. So this is just my way of trying to keep his memory alive. He was the type of friend we all should be blessed with at some point in our lives. Thus- HeavenBound

Kind of tough to followup that story, but I can somewhat relate... I'm sure that many of these posts will get pretty long as well... so here goes:

Boat Name: UpGrady

Home Port: I-Bay

I began fishing the Big-O in the late 70's with my dad and moved up from a 21' Starcraft to a 22' Grady and finally to a 25' Grady in 1986 which remained the family boat until dad retired from Kodak and moved south in 1998. We began at Sodus and ended up at the Oak after 1989. I then was relegated to working charters with some friends at the Oak and got married in 2004. That summer my wife and I were driving down to Jersey to pickup our first boat together after introducing her to fishing in my 14' aluminum! We were going thru names for our new to us 17' Grady when she stumbled and said... it's such an "upgrade" from what we have, I'm so excited... the name stuck.

Meanwhile, a good friend of mine had re-acquired my dad's old 25' Grady and brought it back to life out at the Oak. My dad passed away suddenly in 2005 and the next year my buddy was looking to move on from the Grady, so I re-acquired it from him. As my wife says... this is really an Upgrade now! The name has stuck for us, but the original "Fish Seeker" name continues to lives on in memory of my Dad and all of the great times we had on the Big-O with more to come every year for my family...

Interesting topic. There will probably be some great stories.

My Dad bought a new Bayliner Trophy in 1985. It had a fish decal and the word "Trophy" on the side. Being pretty creative, my Dad was able to hand-cut the word "Seeker" out of vinyl striping to create "Trophy Seeker". A year or 2 later I stumbled upon an identical boat for a steal, and kept it at his house while I got it in fishing condition. When I picked it up to take it home, he had done me a favor and adorned my boat "Trophy Seeker II". We went on several trips together with a group of guys with thoses 2 boats. My Dad passed away 2 years ago. I had never officially named my current boat, but decided to honor him with the original name of "Trophy Seeker".

Great stories guys. That's a real special story Chinook.

These are some real tough ones to follow. Sorry....but my story isn't nearly as deep or inspirational, but this is how we came up with the name.

I decided last winter that my Lund Fisherman was no longer fitting all my needs, so I told the wife I was selling it and buying myself a larger boat primarily for Salmon fishing and I'd buy her a smaller boat for cruising around The St Lawrence, where she spends much of her summer.

I bought a 24 ft Searay, and wanted to name it Rod Addiction, but she didn't really want the name to sound fishing related because while convincing her this was the thing to do I "may have" inadvertently told her it wasn't going to be strictly a fishing boat, and that we'd also use it as a family boat.

Well, I'm a confessed parrothead and a huge Jimmy Buffet fan. One day while I was cruising in the truck listening to my Sirius I heard this song on Margarettaville by Scott Kirby Called Lucky Enough. The chorus of the song was "If your lucky enough to live on blue water, than your lucky enough by me".

I liked it, thought It was catchy, and I figured it was appropriate cause we live on the water much of the summer. It also seemed to apply very well to our life, so I pitched it to the wife and she loved it. It seemed to be a good comprimise.

And so it was....

PqrJIvJ.jpg

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on this thread. Definitely some inspirational stories there, especially yours Chinook.

Boat Name: Billy V II

Home Port: Fair Haven

The name of our boat is sort of a family deal too.

Back before we had any kids, my wife and I began working with a financial planner. The planner began asking us questions about where we saw our lives in 5, 10, 20 years, and we mentioned that we'd like to have kids someday. I'm the 4th in a long line of William Ruth's, and he began joking with us that if we ever had a son that we'd carry on the tradition and name him the 5th. That quickly morphed into a long-running joke about our yet-to-be-born son, Billy V. I swore up and down that I wouldn't name my child William the 5th. But as soon as he was born, I realized that I couldn't break the tradition, and we did indeed name him William the 5th. When it came time to name our last boat, Billy V seemed to be a perfect fit, especially since we only planned on one child. I go by Billy V on the fishing forums and now all of my fishing buddies call me Billy, even though I've gone by Bill in every other part of my life. We named the business Billy V Sportfishing. When it came time to name this new boat, Billy V II was the only thing that made sense to me. Now I just need to figure out how to incorporate my second son's name somewhere! Maybe a second boat???

June22007010.jpg

Bill, Rod, Jim,Hans,- thanks for your guys' responses. I've had the utmost respect for you guys thru the years, especially those of you who had the the opportunity to fish with their fathers. I can't seem to get my dad out on the water for he has the fear of it, since he almost drowned as a child. But I wanted to make this post, for those such as Hans, I've known he had a connection to the Oak at some point, but often wondered how he derived at naming his boat Upgrady. So I know and don't expect all to have a story such as some listed. That was never my intent.Just curious to how some come about naming their boat. Thanks to those who have responded. Have a safe and successful '08 season. P.S. Bill take care of that young man and enjoy every moment with him. They sure grow up quick.

This is my fifth boat and the first one with a name. My favorite artists are Bob Seger and Jimmy Buffet. I have thought of a lot of names from songs to name my boat. The one that best fits my life over all is Against The Wind. I feel I have been running against the wind since I was 11 years old when my father passed away. I moved out of the house the day I finished high school and headed into the wind for a long time after that. As I thought about the name, I started thinking about better times, my wife and then my kids. Long story short we started RVing and to keep the kids wanting to go with us as they grew older, we let them bring friends. We were away just about every weekend with different kids. I felt old with all of the kids calling my wife and I Mr. and Mrs., so one day I told them to call my wife, Miss Lisa, and me, Mr. Rick. Over time, they started calling her Miss L. That is now what we are called by just about every kid that comes to our home. My life turned around when I met my wife and for that I am grateful.

So, I named the boat Miss L even though I am still running against the wind, it’s just not as windy!

These are all incredible stories. This is a thread to definitely follow.

My boat is named Misty IV. The name "Misty" started way back when I was a newborn. My parents had a Glastron tri-hull which was named "Misty". I asked where the name came from and they said whatever it was that inspired them to use that name, they did. Fast forward a few years. My late grandfather bought a 42' Pacemaker sportfisherman. What a ride that was. I remember trips out in the Atlantic for tuna, as well as a trip up the St. Lawrence River through the lock system. He kept it moored in Toms River, NJ, but was out on her almost every weekend, taking friends & family out on fishing trips. Once, he piloted her up to Lake O for a family reunion. He named the boat Misty III. Nobody seems to know what happened to Misty II. Some feel it was the 14' Grumman canoe we had at the lakehouse, but it never actually was called Misty II. In 1993, I was in the market for my own fishing boat for use on the lake. I found a nice used Starcraft 18' center console and named it Misty IV. I had that boat until 2005, at which time I upgraded to my current boat, a 2000 Starcraft Islander 221. I asked a bunch of friends about the name, because I wanted to stay with Misty IV - that's what everyone knows the boat as. I received a bunch of opinions, like it's bad luck to name a new boat the same as your previous one. But, I decided to keep Misty IV as the name, and she's been an awesome ride to me.

aV1aufpi.jpg

Some day I will actually get around to putting the lettering on my boat but after much thought I named my 21 foot Sea Pro the RAIL BIRD. Some birds were perched out on the bow rail of my boat one day and it came to me that was the perfect name association with my other hobby, horse Racing. In horse racing the Rail Birds are the fans that lean on the fence during the running of the race. These are the two dollar bettors who often don't have a place to sit in the club house. Rail birds are going extinct in the modern days of online wagering and simulcast betting parlors but at a big track on a busy day you will see a big flock of them pressed against the fence screaming out names and numbers and cursing in 12 different languages.

My first experience with boating was on my dad's bass boat, the older I got the more we spent fishing / hunting together. After my dad passed away, my mom gave me the boat. I put the boat in storage because I couldn't look at it with remembering all the memories of fishing with my dad. The boat stayed in storage for about five years, I started taking my son fishing from shore and he started asking about the boat. I sold that boat because it wasn't a good boat for a young child to be on, and bought my present boat, 23 foot Proline.

Boats Name - Memory Maker

great thread. boat name Last Chance port mex.bay.first year i owned her,and hadn't named her the fun repairs began.after 1 re-power,i carb,i water pump that blew,2 batteries(no big deal)another re-power under warrenty there came a day when i received another $800.00 repair bill.wrote the check and muttered this is this boats last chance. name kinda stuck.on a positive note, Donna Summer was singing last dance last chance for romance when the first fish hit.

Well FishStyx actually started as an idea i had for a graphic on the boat. Pictuer this:

A viking longboat with the grim reaper up in the bow, a skeleton/demon poling the boat down the river Styx and two guys fishing off the back of the boat on their way to purgatory/hell.

One of these years I might even get around to having it airbrushed on.

Tim

• 2 years later...

I'll bite this one.

Boat Name: Pond Hop'r

Home Port: Trailer to various ports and lakes

The Story: Nothing to deep and meaningful but when I bought the boat it was named Ma Belle which I wasn't really into. After a couple months, I was thinking about renaming it and was thinking of what name to pick. Since I like to fish out of different ports and different lakes throughout the season, I picked "Pond Hop'r".

RIP Duane, we never met but you offered some good advice and your experiences when I was deciding on buying the boat I have now.

Well done Rod a fitting tribute. Very sad indeed I've never met Duane personally but like to think that I am part of LOU family and friends and share much of the same core values of trying to make this great sport part of my sons life.

Tom

I grew up spending my summers with my grandfather (Jake) fishing every weekend on his old family glass boat. For as long as I can remeber he talk about owning a Lund one day. Well some 25 years later I purchased one for us. The day I brought it home I called him to come over and take a look at our new boat. He had walk around it twice I think before he finally says, hey Mark, that's a Lund. It was a good feeling seeing how happy he was that we finally had one. Well for a year I couldn't pick out a name that a liked, and Grandpa rode me all the time telling me I had to get her named. I guess because I spent so much time with him growing up my family says I act like him so they have always called me Lil Jake, seemed like a perfect fit for the boat name. I never told him what I had named the boat until one day a fews years back we were fishing together and a friend called over the radio for Lil Jake, he laughed and said hey somebody's calling you not knowing they really were. When I keyed the mike and responded this is L J go ahead it put a tear in his eye and I knew I had choosen the right name. I'm happy to say that at 84 years old I got him out a half a dozen times this year and we are looking to do more than that next year. Sometimes fishing isn't about the fish at all. Mark

Empty Hook came about in 1988 we took a charter for brown trout out of Mexico bay on lake Ontario. we ended up with no fish that day. on our way back to the motel we stopped into Nice n Easy in Pulaski and we all bought thoses lil gold hooks you put on your hats and called ourselves the empty hook club. a few years later i got a 19 foot celberty cuddy cabin boat( it looked just like Marks Reel Jerks) and told the guys come on the empty hook is going fishing on the big pond! it has stuck ever since and we are up to Empty Hook IV. (luckily we do not have empty hooks too often!)

ehsign2.jpg

Loon Feather , It was on the thompson when I bought it. The boat came from Michigan. The Indians there beleive that finding a loon feather is like finding a 4 leaf clover. When I bought the Starcraft I keep the name.

Mine was some what simple. My boat name is Reel Obsession. I wanted something fishing related and to represenst my self and crew. When we took the boat out we would be out there all day not taking any breaks. Just some hard core fishing hense the name Obsession. I think it fits us well!

"Stinky Finger" comes from being snowed in at the hunting camp near Holiday Valley/ Ellicottville one February on a weekend skiing excursion.

Snowed in, no food, no snow plow on the road for three days and after running out of what food we had all that remained was Grampa's jar of limburger left over from deer season.

I got hungry so I ate the whole jar off my finger. Not bad actually, despite the rancid smell.

Of course as soon as I finished it a plow roared by and whisked away the four foot drifts that kept us stuck and we were free at last. We all piled into the Suburban to head into Great Valley for some chow and no sooner than the doors closed somebody yelped "what the hell is that stench" !!!??? I was now known as "Stinky Finger". Great.

A few months later I was back at the camp and had scored an aluminum boat at a nearby yard sale. I had it out on the bass pond there when the ski trip crew arrived for the turkey opener the following morning. "What are you gonna call it" somebody yelled out to me but before I could say anything they all said in unison "Stinky Finger" !!!