Another derby in Naples

Is it just me or is this completely unneeded. Not to mention it is a multi day derby. A small self sustaining creek does not need two freaking Derbies. All it does is promote keeping everything. I don't have a problem with people keeping a fish....you have that right with a license. I don't know....this just seems to be a bit much IMO.

You might want to further describe what you are reacting to and  talking about as not every one may be aware of the situation....including me :)

I agree with that. It is much too small and fragile a stream to support heavier fishing than is already the case....but like most things these days...it's all about the money.

Maybe we should not allow fishing in any of the creeks that empty into Lake Ontario also. And the thousands of fish that are taken in them. And this one extra in Naples supports Veterns. Come on. Really!!!!

I was just thinking this particular year it may not be as much of a problem depending on the date of the second derby because my hunch is that this years regular derby will be a total bust (because of the water temp and  conditions and few fish in the creek and that annual one  is the one that draws the real crowd.

They are almost always dead unlike bass tournaments and they are not released after caught (unless undersize) etc.

Is there some reason why licensed anglers cant get together to fish and support a cause?  I think its still legal to keep a fish.  If the derby was in the lake would it still be a problem?  Is it because the fish are spawning?  The DEC makes the rules and like it or not trout season is open.  I doubt the event advocates illegal snagging and Im pretty sure anybody who chooses to break the law will still be out lifting even if there were no event.  The reason that the dec stocks the fish is so we can fish for them.  Catch and release isnt harmless to trout.  Just to play devil's advocate here  Ive seen plenty of guys catch and then release fish after fish all morning and then raise their nose when they see somebody takes a fish home.  There is no way all the released fish live.  If the fish arent to be harmed we should eliminate the hooks.  I agree that small streams are fragile and probably dont NEED the pressure, but thats the case with every stream that has public access and even the above mentioning of the streams on an open forum such as this adds more according to the forum trib rules.  There isnt an easy answer other than we really have to share the resource.  As Sk8man said its all about money...

justin   

I've never been keen on fishing competition of any kind and agree with phisherman585 .   Just my feeling on the subject.   I'm more interested in enjoying fishing on a quiet stream or lake which is tough to find these days!    I'm not keen on cheek to jowl stream fishing or being buzzed by high hp boats. 

I have watched how some (not all) fisherman handle trout and cringe.   Better to eat the fish than to play it till it's exhausted and then rough it up in dry hand out of the water and release or should I say throw the fish back into the water.   Catch and release is a good idea but like Justin says not all the released fish survive.    That being said, I have seen natural predators  clean out a few pools in short order i.e. a heron on  East Koy creek.   Just how a derby effects fish and stream ecology is a big question to me.  Put and take stream is one thing but natural stream might be another.

Some of my favorite stretches of stream have become posted by land owners due to the volume people of fishing.    I wonder if derby's would bring in enough people to set land owners on edge?   Number of fishermen is in the mind of the land owner.  

Since this about $ I don't think there will be much of a decision to be made.

Make no mistake Im not PRO trout stream derby!   Id like to to have more pristine streams, but then how do you pick who gets to fish them?  Its real easy to say what would be best for us as individuals, but difficult to say whats best for everyone as a group.  If we are dreaming Id like to see more fisheries managed for bigger fish not numbers, but thats why I fish Otisco not Oneida.  Its important that those of us who dont lift and herd fish still go out there, take kids, and do it right so at least somebody sets an example.  

justin