Keuka 3/31/14 (My biggest Laker to date)

Finally got the boat out for the first time this year.  Took a friend of mine out Saturday morning and launched around 6:45 at the Motel in Hammondsport.  Trolled most of the morning up and down the East side of the lake near the South end.  Off the water by 11:00 with 11 for 15 (all lakers).  Most were caught in 90-120 fow down 65 & 85 on down riggers.  The night before i set up a 7 color leadcore and was very glad that i did.  I ran that off the back of the boat and ran 5 colors out with a perch rapala.  Right after we made our first loop we hooked into a real nice fish that immediately started taking drag.  250 ft of line out and 10 minutes later we netted my biggest laker to date.  Tried to release it, but after the fight it put up i was unable to get it going again.  Weighed it when i got home (3 hours after it was caught) and it was 11lbs 2oz and 32" long.

Most of the rest of the lakers were the average Keuka size (2-3lbs) with a few larger ones mixed in.

Sean

post-143216-0-68994000-1396279053_thumb.jpg

SWEET! Nice going Sean....man that guy had been doing some chowing down too :)  Let' s hope Seneca has a few like that this season too....great that you got out.

Good job, Sean   !!

Nice fish.  In 40 years of fishing I have only ever caught 1 trout from Keuka that hit double digits.

I have a good friend who has caught many more trout than I have who has never caught a 10 lb + trout  there.

Went out on Keuka again yesterday on my step brother's boat and trolled for 3 1/2 hours.  Ended the day with somewhere between 20-25 lakers (all good sized)...never caught one under 3lbs.  Biggest was once again in the double digits!  10lbs 3oz.  The first two lakers that i catch over 10 lbs and they happen to be back to back weekends.  I think Keuka might be starting to turn around a little bit and get some good sized lakers again.

For what it's worth, I saw a 14 pound laker win an Avon Anglers derby and one year the winner of the North End Landings derby was a 19 pound laker.

This lake can definitely produce big fish, but we need to continue thinning out the overpopulation of 2-3 pound lakers. Catch and release is detrimental to this lake!!!!

I was in one of those 8 or 10 boats jigging out in about 100 FOW off Hammondsport. Everyone seemed to be catching fish.

I only saw 2 or 3 boats trolling..You must have been one of them.

Nice catch once again, Sean..We landed 23 trout in 3 hours of jigging, but the biggest was about 5 lb.