Line question

This is going to sound really stupid but do I have to run power pro as backing for everything? Can I use mono for some stuff on lake O? I mean I can buy one big spool of power pro but it's pricey considering I am in the process of buying a house. LOL. I can get it if I have to it just will take awhile, and I have a bunch of mono and stuff already. I have riggers, planer boards, some leadcore, and am getting some wire and copper possibly. Thanks guys. I have a bunch of magda 30 dx's and some diawa sealine 175's. probably will have to get a couple bigger lines for running copper and such off from dipseys. How much should I plan on putting of the main line on each? I looked and found a few threads but doesn't answer everything. Thanks again.

One of the main reasons you see braid used as backing is reel capacity constraints. You can fit much more braid on a reel compared with mono at the same test. Also, mono has much more stretch.

Copper: yes, use braid as backing

Lead core: yes, use braid as backing

Wire line for Dipsys: just use wire, no need for backing

Good luck,

Chris

Riggers are just mono, although you might add a long section of large diameter (30lb Big Game is popular) mono or Flea Flicker during the spiny water flea season and then leader down.

The braid will pick up fleas because of the texture primarily so they will adhere to both 30 and 50. The larger diameter mono and to an extent wire line does not allow the fleas to cling to it as easily. The larger diameter mono (e.g. 30 lb) is not necessarily the desired diameter people might want to use but if you don't want the fleas to clog your line....it is needed during flea season as they have a harder time clinging to it. There are also lines specially formulated to minimize fleas such as Blood Run Sea Flea mono that has a somewhat "slippery coating to discourage fleas and other lines as well.

When the fleas are bad I have downrigger rods with 30 lb Blood Run Mono which I use with 17 lb fluoro leader for spoons and sticks on Lake O but for hardware I have wire setups. By the way with wire rigs I was advised by Tuna Tom Reel Troubles to put at least a small amount on mono backing on the reel with wire to protect the spool integrity.. Often if braid/Spectra is used as backing a small amount of mono should put on first to keep the spool/drag from slipping especially while putting on the braid..I hear ya on the Flea Flicker stuff that is why I didn't mention it above :lol: