Cannon mag 10 bases issues

Believe me It does suck!! 2years ago I lost one in 30 fow In Chaumont Bay!! Sub Troll and all.... really sucks!! You can always tie in some sort of tether just in case your worried of loosing one. I even do it when in small boats with small outboards on them, saved my a$$ one year in the Islands.

We've been running the new Cannons for 3 seasons now, and we've had 2 swivel bases crack on us. The first one cracked when my brother used is impact wrench to tighten the screw that held it down. Obviously, his fault. The other one cracked because our pull rope to our 48" trolling bag was around it. Again, our fault. If your truly worried about it they do make Stainless Steel bases and swivel bases.

FYI....I did notice they have changed the swivel bases recently, and they look great!

Edited by Yankee Troller

I always run swivel bases made by Traxstech, Pursuit, and/or Bert's.  I bought new Mag10 STXs when they came out and 

swapped out the plastic swivel bases for Traxstech bases before I left the store.  Of course this only works if you run 

track systems.  I don't like dealing with the low profile bases.  Not enough room to get my hands in there and also at risk

of breaking, though I think the risk is fairly low.  You could also buy the stainless Cannon swivels....but they are very expensive.  

You see them on Ebay from time to time.  Another option would be to make your own. 

yes it is true, I have two older Canon Mag10A's that one of the bases is cracked. I put some duct tape around it..I think I will do the teather deal though, makes sence.

Does it make a difference which way the screw faces when in use? Towards boom or away from?

If you think about worst case YES if the  screw come loose while fishing and rigger falls off do you want it falling in the water or in the boat............. I had one break ( screw ) but was able to still use the rigger using good old buggie cords on a nearly brand new rigger........... I went with stainless bases and swivel mounts $$$$ but they look GOOD !!!!  LOL

yes it is true, I have two older Canon Mag10A's that one of the bases is cracked. I put some duct tape around it..I think I will do the teather deal though, makes sence.

Picture ???  I would replace it ...... just a matter of time and some thing bad could happen............ I had a high swivel mount that broke on my middle rigger ..... I saw the cracks didn't do any thing...... then ruff water middle rigger falls into the splash well ...... quite a time but I got it bad in........... re-mounted with a low profile base and after awhile the pin broke...... noticed then that there was a lot of play in the bases and I drive very agrassive on turns , 4'boom , 12# ball lot of pressure and stress on the middle rigger......... went to a stainless swivel some slop but not as much as the others..............

I hung up a 15# shark weight in Lake Champlain on something 60 feet down in 80 feet of water!!! Had my clutch set a little to tight and before I could react the STX and 2 rods, 2 rod holders, 2 Chamberlain releases and other associated gear

Was ripped out of the base. This happened at 0430. I spent an hour jigging my anchor hoping to snag the cable. No luck of course!! By 0630 I was back on the trailer headed for home. About $800 to replace all the last gear! It sucked!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

Wow that sux. That's what I invision happening to me. On another note. If I bought a swivel mount that slides into Bert's track. Is the little 1/4 in lip on the track going to hold the rigger or do I have to bolt the base to the track?

if you loose that much gear at one time I would hit my GPS ASAP and get a hold of a diver to (attempt to) recover it. There are a lot of dive shops that I'm sure could find you a diver if your not over the 100' or so. You run him/her out in your boat and who knows, being a past diver, you may even find someone to do it for the challenge

Edited by scobar

I hung up a 15# shark weight in Lake Champlain on something 60 feet down in 80 feet of water!!! Had my clutch set a little to tight and before I could react the STX and 2 rods, 2 rod holders, 2 Chamberlain releases and other associated gear

Was ripped out of the base. This happened at 0430. I spent an hour jigging my anchor hoping to snag the cable. No luck of course!! By 0630 I was back on the trailer headed for home. About $800 to replace all the last gear! It sucked!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

Yeowser :o ......That was an expensive day of fishing :(

My older late 80's MAG 10A's will not accept the low profile bases I dont think? I do have the swivel bases on both of them though

My older late 80's MAG 10A's will not accept the low profile bases I dont think? I do have the swivel bases on both of them though

I don't see/understand why they wouldn't !!!!!

My boat is a 1988 came with 4 Mag 10'A s two were Marlin or two just plane , went from the high bases to low proflie just changed out the mounting base that attached to the swivel base ................... ?????

• 5 months later...

I found a great alternative. Troll-Master makes bases that fits all cannon downriggers.

I bought mine 6 months ago and very happy with them.

I got it off ebay. The company is in Tampa FL. www.troll-master.com

I called them with installation questions - they were very helpful. Also it comes with 10 year warranty.