fuel supply?

tlr426

If my tank doesn't have two sending units to run a seperate fule line to my kicker is there a way to t the main line and prevent any possible air from entering the system. Any help would be great. Or is there an option that I am not seeing? I don't want a small tank just for the kicker if that's possible.

Most I/O's have a water seperator that has a port to tap into.  I don't know what you  have for an engine or tank setup.  So its hard to help you more that that. 

Ya you "T" off your main line and there's a quick disconnect you attach to your kicker for removal. I also just unhook the line and let my kicker run itself out of gas when I'm done trolling to avoid any issues with ethanol in the tiny little throttle body. You will have to leave your key on tho unless you wire a secondary switch to the pump. Dealer hooked mine up like that with elec. start on kicker for I think 140 bucks

Something to think about....Even though you don't want a seperate tank for the kicker, it does have an advantage as backup fuel supply. Just in case... If your main fuel supply were to have some contamination element ruin your day with a main engine foul up due to water, dirt, or some kind of supply line leak, O ring, or primer bulb failure,.that would be something to affect your kicker too on a shared fuel supply....when you still have a kicker running on a seperate fuel supply it can make a trip back to the dock. I understand the space required for the extra tank and it's easy access. I have mine mounted to the dive platform for that and it is a easy access no muss no fuss to have the extra tank there if you have that space.

Mark

Adding a "T" to your main engine fuel line may work for a time. Then someday your kicker engine fails to start. Before taking it back to the repair guy, check that the kicker engine fuel pump is not sucking air through the main engine connector fitting. I ended up using a separate fuel line and tank for my kicker. This will save yourself a buck.

I am going to try to help you with this from some very expensive experience. Fuel seperator is the only way to go, inside the casing there are check balls on the discharge side of the casing that will not allow one motor to rob fuel from the other. Separaters are fairly cheap and easly serviced, also you should consider using non ethonol fuel, it is available at a few local stations and at most marinas. Good chance these 2 things could save you 3 or 4 thousand dollars. good luck

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What I failed to mention is to install the primer bulb after the T, one would be for the main motor, one would be for the kicker. They have a check valve in them. If the primer bulb is in good working order they wont have any siphon issues.  I have been doing it for years with no problem.

After having a couple "bad days" the separate tanks are the best idea. I do not use the water separator fuel filter as my six gallon tanks I use now after abandoning my built in tank. They can be cleaned simply by turning them upside down to remove the water and other critters. The translucent plastic if held up to the sun will show dirt and water can be observed by looking in the fill port. The seals on the hose limit water into the tank with the seals on the hoses. Built in tanks have open vents that allow high humidity air in the harbor to enter the tank every night when the fuel contracts due to cold air conditions. I close the vent valve on the tanks after use and one trip I failed to open the valve and when the engine lugged down I discovered my tank shrank down to half its size from the fuel pumps vacuum pressure. After opening the vent it popped back up to its original size. With the ethanol fuel we buy at the cheapest source, the time held in a tank is lessened for the alcohol to vaporize out of solution.