Opinions on Parker, Steiger and Defiance Pilot Houses

RodBuster

I wood like any opinions on these boats. I have two concerns from my research;

1. Low gunnel height

2. Self bailing cockpits taking on water. I have fished on a grady white and there is always a little water at the drain level. I believe it might be due to the design being for saltwater, and it sits lower in the water in freshwater? I like to fish in the winter and I wouldnt want water coming in.

Any opinions on these boats would be appreciated.

I can't offer any advice there but I have a Wooldridge. Www.wooldridgeboats.com. If they make it on to your list feel free to contact me. Www.bayofquintecharters.com

I hope you find someone with the model you are looking at. It was a big help for me to speak to someone with the same boat I was looking at when I was shopping. I flew out to the factories of the builders on my final list and talked to them and looked at the boats being built. I also wouldn't buy without a water test . It's a big purchase dont regret it. We both know they don't appreciate so you want to be happy with your decision.

Scott.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Sent you a pm boat is finally out so you can take a look. As for water in the back you won't get any. If you take a wave over the back its gone in an instant. Only had that happen once and that was in Wilson in ten ftrs along way from port. I love the gunnel height with a elevated rigger base on tracks its perfect. Also you will never need a backing plate for anything. The gunnels are two inches thick. I had to go threw two inches of solid glass and wood on the dash for electronics. I would buy another Parker in a heart beat.

Edited by Hookedup

i was on a 25ft parker last year for a tournament in 8 to 10 fters and the boat handled the waves very well.gunnels seemed to be high enough to put your knees against and not have to worry about falling overboard.this boat had a closed transom with a 250 yamie on a bracket.after a few rough days on my boat last year with an open transom and taking waves in the back,i sold it and bought a boat with a closed transom and motor bracket.i feel alot safer with the closed transom out in the big water.both parker and steiger craft are quality boats.

If you look closely at the Parker's as the first selection choice you may not even go any further....they are incredibly well built and well thought out boats. If I wasn't a hardcore Boston Whaler guy it is what I would want to be in. :lol:

All 3 are very nice boats...esp the stiegercraft!!

When I was I'm. The market for a new multi purpose fish boat, I did research upon research to figure out which make, model, and size worked for me.

After a painful process and many test rides, I decided to approach Eastern Marine. They had the perfect size for me 27'. I got to chose and plan my the set up of my rig...

Since this was going to be multi purpose boat I opted for a 8" pot hauler, 11 swivel rod holders, closed transom, triple batteries, Gil bracket with 225 Honda, self bailing cockpit. Hardtop with full canvas.

Overall fish able length is 14' from wheel too Transom!!! This allows for plenty of anglers to fish from.

Depth of the gunwale was huge for me too, it's 30" from floor to top.

Storage is plenty up front in the cabin.

Greatest thing about the KJ Louise it's TOWABLE!!!

Good Luck in your new venture take your time and pick exactly what you want and need!

Eastern boats website is

Www.easternboats.com

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My Cousin owns a Parker, I have 2 friends that own Steigers, both are very well built boats and fish great.  My only complaint on the Parker is the enclosed hard back of the pilothouse.  Personally, I'd rather have that open at the back of the Hardtop with drop curtains, though according to Parkers website, that is available as an option..

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

I like the sounds of 30 inch sides on the Steiger. But, I believe you have to go to the 25 or 27 to get those high sides. I was hoping to stay in the 23 ft range.  The only thing I dont like about the steiger from the pics is the horizontal depth of the transom. I would like to put the back down riggers hanging straight out the back, with a bracket that is not full width. The smaller transom makes it easier to rig those back downs.

That is the feature of the Defiance that i like.  If i go parker or Steiger I am going to have the transom fish box lids made smaller, so I can wrap Traxtech around and at least have two or three feet of track on the transom.    

Thanks for the input, keep it comin'

I agree with Tim on the open with drop curtains. I've fished a number of times on one of the Steigers that Tim is talking about, the 255 Miami. Real nice trolling boat, sides are not too low, but I wouldn't want them any lower... I'm 6'3".

Boat has an optional bow thruster and a nice overboard pump for the livewell which is below the waterline. Pumps scales and slime no problem. I think it is a trash pump class of pump but am not sure. The boat has a single Suzuki 250 and both fuel efficiency and load capacity are very well balanced. Boat requires some bags to keep in the correct speed range.