My first snows

I've never experienced a day with more waterfowl on the move. Geese in nearly every field and any open water. Thousands of Canadas, Snows, and ducks (mallards, pintails, blacks an,d woodies. I managed to shoot my firsrt two snows today. They certainly are more challenging than Canadas. We could have shot50 of them if they were legal but fun to watch come in 15 yards over your head!

post-144887-0-71924900-1396491939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Nice job Kevin always wanted to try the geese thing just never could find time always working and if i was off would rather hunt deer in fall or fish fall and spring. My buddy just started a couple years ago doing the duck and goose thing he said once you start you cant stop very addicting sounds  to me alot like the other two sports mentioned above.

Trapper,

No question it is as addictive. I enjoy waterfowl  because of the social aspect rather than more solitary part of deer and turkey hunting. Can also be expensive with abunance of gear decoys, boats ect, ect. ect.  

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Trapper,

No question it is as addictive. I enjoy waterfowl because of the social aspect rather than more solitary part of deer and turkey hunting. Can also be expensive with abunance of gear decoys, boats ect, ect. ect.

ditto!!!!! Nice job also

I know what you mean I mentioned crow hunting and half of NY jumped down my neck, I don't talk hunting or small stream fishing as it sounds like it's sacred grounds to some, but I love my predator hunting, and small game on the account of the guys getting together and having fun!! I'm a people person and can get along with "most" anybody, you really have to be goon to get under my skin LOL.

I have duck hunted in the past but solitaire and I don't anymore because I was just never showed the ins and outs of it.  I have asked a few people how to get into it but really never leads to anything.  I love the solitaire part of fishing and hunting but sometimes it helps to have someone more talented and knowledgable show you how it is done.  This is similar to my turkey hunting.  I just got back into it a few years ago after my fishing partner talked me into it and I love it now.  Before I was take it or leave it.  I am getting much better at it and i think that is why I am enjoying it.  I guess my point is that it is great hanging  out with your buds but it is also great to gain insight on technique.  Every year i debate about getting my duck stamp and every year i choose to buy a high priced maple roast duck dinner from a local restaurant.

I know what you mean I mentioned crow hunting and half of NY jumped down my neck,

I remember that.  I was the other half.

I doesn't matter who it was. It's water over the dam and I'll keep my hunting tactics to myself from here on, Everyone is entitled to there opinion that's what keeps the world going round. There are folks out there that will **** about anything just to make themselves heard. I learned a lot this winter about different topics, so I'll just stick to the general rule of thumb. Lets talk fishing and let god sort the rest out. Peace brother  :sun:  :flower:

I remember that.  I was the other half.

I've made a bunch of post on waterfowl, small game, deer, and turkey and never had an issue. On the other had I have had individuals complain about me keeping fish even though I release many and tend to keep pan fish and smaller fish to eat from a wide variety of locals. I know the areas I fish and hunt and certainly try to selectively harvest and not abuse a resource. That said, I'll never sugar coat or feel the need to justify the fact that I love eating the fish and game that I harvest, never waste any and follow the laws.

Pap, that conversation was a real eye opener to me.  There are always going to be people that don't unsderstand it.  I Know this guy, we call him MSbaster.  He shot a porcupine this winter and I told him not to broadcast it because people wouldn't understand why and give him a hard time.  The hunter education people are encouraging students to use the word harvest instead of kill - also softer words like culling.  Be careful about fishing too.  There can be a distance between parties on that as well.  Good luck this year. 

Joe

Kevin I know what you mean!  I dont post to much on my hunting, but have talked hunting a bit on the forum and had no trouble....BUT I have had plenty of people criticize my harvesting of walleye!!!   I too knew the water I was fishing and was sure it was put and take...glad I put that to rest!  Alright somebody tell me what happened to PAP and the crow hunting?  In my area they are a nuisance and local bars have contests to see who can shoot the most...and predators too of course!  And nobody harass PAP again about the crows for gods sake even if he deserves a little...lol!!

justin

Nevermind I found it....yeah the farm I hunt would vehemently disagree with the what did they ever do to you sentiment.  Not sure if guys are aware that it has become difficult or even illegal to get crow resistant seed (corn) to plant and crows can wipe out an entire planting. This happened on our hill and now the farmer has propane cannons that go off all day to keep the crows out till the corn comes up.  They are a major problem for farmers.  

justin

Overpopulation is something we all will have to get used to....there just is too much land that isnt hunted and suburbia has created a sanctuary for for many species.  The new archery and crossbow regs that will allow hunters to get closer to houses should help a little.  The Canada goose is another species that has really become a problem.

justin

"The Canada goose is another species that has really become a problem". Yeah Justin it is pretty bad when you have to wear hip boots to the launch ramp; not to deal with the boat but the goose crap....let alone the guys on a golf course :lol: The crows are a problem in my area too. I haven't hunted ANYTHING in years (timing issue interferes with my fishing) but I've tried to nail a few of the crows at close range out in my back yard with a pellet gun with ballistic pellets....every time I  so much as turn the knob on the door they take off like rockets.....frustrating... but I have to laugh...they seem to be kinda smiling too as they take off which pizzes me off even more :)

Edited by Sk8man

Overpopulation is something we all will have to get used to....there just is too much land that isnt hunted and suburbia has created a sanctuary for for many species.  The new archery and crossbow regs that will allow hunters to get closer to houses should help a little.  The Canada goose is another species that has really become a problem.

justin

Nevermind I found it....yeah the farm I hunt would vehemently disagree with the what did they ever do to you sentiment.  Not sure if guys are aware that it has become difficult or even illegal to get crow resistant seed (corn) to plant and crows can wipe out an entire planting. This happened on our hill and now the farmer has propane cannons that go off all day to keep the crows out till the corn comes up.  They are a major problem for farmers.  

justin

I'd love to turn the crow and owl on my Fox Pro and a few decoys out for that farmer and I promise I'll bring my water gun. LOL