Anyone ever convert a mercruiser from points to electronic ignition

vetting

Anyone ever convert a mercruiser from points to electronic ignition?

SInce its supposed to idle better, I thought it might be beneficial since we troll for hours on end at basically idle speed.

Any thoughts?

I agree with the above posts, maybe it's just one of my hang ups, being in the starter and alt. business, I know that electronics fail, I did my boat but I bought my pertronix set up through Summit Racing and purchased 2 right away and kept the points set up in the glove box, I see way to many failures in electronics anymore to put my trust in just having 1 set up. I know with a points system I can make an engine run, with a electronic set up when it quits your done. Just my 2$ 

I upgraded my ignition last year and its been great! I had too many problems with old thunderbolt technology. (it wasnt jump from a points based system). Talk to Hank L&M and ask for an opinion from him. 

Now Im confused if mine is actually a points distributor or not.  Its a 89 5.7L 350 - think its a chevy.  It looks like it has a Thunderbolt IV on it.  So is that a points distributor or is it already considered an electronic ignition and the Petronix wouldnt apply?

So no need to upgrade then.  Probably wouldnt hurt to change the cap/rotor, plugs, and wires this spring.

I thought being an 89 it would of been the old style, so I was surprised when I saw the thunderbolt cap when I looked at it today.

Generally speaking all GM style motors from 1986 and newer utilized 2 things.  One being roller lifters instead of the older style flat tappet, and HEI (High Energy Ignition) electronic ignition. In marine applications it might have taken a little longer to convert to HEI/electronic ignitions as they obviously make fewer boat motors than car motors. Also there are different fire standards in which boat ignitions must fall under compared to cars.  These standards are to keep boats from blowing up from the leak of fuel vapors into the bilge.

Generally speaking all GM style motors from 1986 and newer utilized 2 things.  One being roller lifters instead of the older style flat tappet, and HEI (High Energy Ignition) electronic ignition. In marine applications it might have taken a little longer to convert to HEI/electronic ignitions as they obviously make fewer boat motors than car motors. Also there are different fire standards in which boat ignitions must fall under compared to cars.  These standards are to keep boats from blowing up from the leak of fuel vapors into the bilge.

My 1986 Model Thompson, which was actually built in August of 1985, has a 5.0L (305) with Thunderbolt IV Elec Ignition.

Tim

My 1986 Model Thompson, which was actually built in August of 1985, has a 5.0L (305) with Thunderbolt IV Elec Ignition.

Tim

Did you buy the boat new?  If not then I would suspect someone put it on.  Generally they didn't come with the thunderbolt unless it was ordered that way from the factory as an add-on.  I mean they have had the technology in cars earlier than 86 but I can't remember when they started putting them in boats I thought it was 86 but it could have been earlier.  My wife's grandfather has a '83 four winns with points and OMC. 

So no need to upgrade then.  Probably wouldnt hurt to change the cap/rotor, plugs, and wires this spring.

I thought being an 89 it would of been the old style, so I was surprised when I saw the thunderbolt cap when I looked at it today.

Change plugs every year, cap, rotor, wires every 2-3 years if no problem before that, remember you can't get out & walk home like a broken down car.  jmo.