New Boat-Looking for Walleye/Salmon Rod Reel Advice

Hey All,

I just purchased a new boat-StarCraft Fishmaster 196.  Looking to buy rods and reels for trolling.  Is there any options out there that would work double for fishing salmon and also to go after Walleye on Erie?  Wondering reel size, make, line set up, and rod length, action ect....?

Ugly stik big water rods with daiwa 47 reels or comparable size. Spool up with 30lb mono for kings and strip off a couple hundred feet and splice in some 10-12lb test when you fish for eyes... Rigger rods for salmon and planer rods for eyes... just a thought

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by EYE SPY

Will mostly fish dipsys and inline boards for walleye. Also trying to learn wire/lead core. Have never fished salmon on my own, will be doing all sorts of research for learning that game

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I do the same type of fishing, I use 30 series okuma convectors andokuma 8ft rods, recently bought a set of diaea heartland rods, like them so far

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I love my diawa sealine 27lc for walleye with braid on blue diamond rods. I have a set of 47h diawa with 30lb big game that I put on the rods when I go to ontario for the riggers. For leadcore I purchased 2 okuma convector 45lc that I have rigged up with a full core and 30lb fireline backing they work great on both lakes just add a snap wieght for depth.

For downriggers I use 2 brands of rods.

For walleye you can't beat one of the Cabela's depthmaster Medium 8' 6" downrigger rod.  They have a nice fast tip and are a softer medium.  I have fought salmon and trout on these rods but they can beat you up a little unless you enjoy lengthy fights.  

For my salmon gear I use the Okuma products. My downrigger rods are the Okuma classic glt rods in 8'6" meduim they have a little stiffer spine and make fighting a large fish a little more enjoyable.

Both of these rods won't break the bank and allow you to purchase a better reel.  The rods aren't as important as a good reel.

Word of caution before you get in too deep, this is an expensive sport.

Edited by Chas0218

Seven and 8' okuma blue diamond rods are great. The 7s all spring. 8s in the fall. Penn 330 gt reels are great high speed reels. They have been discontinued. There are some great prices out there now. They are big enough to use for additional applications, lead/ copper later on.

I just bought a Penn Squall 50 for copper and size 30 for 300 foot copper and 2 Squall 20 line counter reels for dipsy wire.  I purchased the Abu Garcia Alphamars for downrigging for my new boat.  I did get one Daiwa too.  I went with Ugly Stick Tiger Lite rods.  We shall see how they perform soon enough 

For fishing dipsys and inline planer boards I would go with the Okuma Classic Pro GLT rods.  They are a deal at $30 a piece.  Plenty of spine to handle hits by kings and big lakers, but also sensitive enough for light hitting walleye.  I run 8 of them on my boat with no problems at all.  Very comfortable handle as well.  

Edited by jigstick

I run 8ft 6in Pro GLTs on my riggers and planer boards. And 9fters on the Dipsys. My usual setup is 2 inline planers, two dipsys, two down riggers, and two stackers off the riggers.

I am also new at the trolling for Salmon sport. I purchased a Crestliner, Comander 1850 last spring, and I have it set up with everything for trolling. I went out with a friend that charters out of Sandy Creek (Lake Ontario) so I could learn what he uses and what to do. He advised me to get Shimano/ Tekota 600LC reels and Ugly Stick 8'6" med. action rods. I now have 8.