Winchester Longbeard Turkey Loads

Took a couple of shots with some 3", 1 3/4 oz,#5 shot at 40 yards tonight.  Both shots had zero pellets outside a 30" circle.  Using a Hastings Wadlock barrel with their .660 choke.  Definitely a keeper turkey load for me. 

post-139696-0-90309800-1396568734_thumb.jpg

Nice setup the only thing I would say is Fiocchi makes the best round for the .660 choke tube 5's or 6's they are a bit faster coming out of barrel I have tried em all Winchester comes in a close second, keep em gobbling!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

My brother in law and I tried the F brand shells with the 660 choke tube out of our Bennillie's and we were impressed at 40 yards, a great load for long distances but at lesser yardage it will be a challenge. Those shells really kick out of our auto loaders, I can't imagine shooting them out of a single pipe, LOL.

There is no replacement for lead. Heavy shot does not have the kinetic energy of lead... IMO over priced and a lesser product. Fiocchi shells rules the numbers when its compared to others,(higher velocity thus greater kinetic energy)... that is what kills, find the right choke and kill em!

Keep em gobbling boys n girls!

Be careful kevin, although the pattern may hold tight at ranges in excess of 50 yards, the pellets are still lead 6's, and do not have the energy to consistently kill at that range. It doesnt matter how many pellets are on target if they lack the penetration energy to kill the bird. The marketing of these shells is going to lead to a lot of long, stupid shots taken and birds wounded this season. Sad How many people are going to be trying birds at 60 or 70 yards because the box of shells says they are effective to there. These birds deserve more respect than that. Call em up within 40 or let them walk, as you really havent beaten them at the game if you cant get them closer then that.

Oh, and nautitroller, your statements about hevi shot being less lethal than lead are completely, 100 % incorrect. Whoever told you that was feeding you a line of ****. Blows my mind that you truly believe that. Simple physics my man.

Salmonchop, 

I completely agree with you, even thought they claim 10% greater penetration with this load. I do my homework and prefer to get them inside 30 yards. That said I do feel these loads outperform previous Winchesters and are probably ethical to use to 50 yards. As you stated, if there is ever any question let them walk. I roosted a nice flock tonight so we'll see what takes place in the morning. I never seem to get them when I think I have them figured out.

Be careful kevin, although the pattern may hold tight at ranges in excess of 50 yards, the pellets are still lead 6's, and do not have the energy to consistently kill at that range. It doesnt matter how many pellets are on target if they lack the penetration energy to kill the bird. The marketing of these shells is going to lead to a lot of long, stupid shots taken and birds wounded this season. Sad How many people are going to be trying birds at 60 or 70 yards because the box of shells says they are effective to there. These birds deserve more respect than that. Call em up within 40 or let them walk, as you really havent beaten them at the game if you cant get them closer then that.

Oh, and nautitroller, your statements about hevi shot being less lethal than lead are completely, 100 % incorrect. Whoever told you that was feeding you a line of ****. Blows my mind that you truly believe that. Simple physics my man.

Ok did some homework. I will admit when I am wrong. Last time I tried heavyshot it was bismuth... which does not beat copper coated lead, turkey loads by heavyshot is tungsten which does have a higher density. Which if the velocity is higher it will have a higher kinetic energy. But... the heavyshot Turkey loads are coming out at 1200 fps. The Fiochi shells are 1350 fps. There is very little difference in density but the velocity is quite different. So if you like paying 30.00 plus for heavyshot go ahead, also not so good for chokes not made for that shot. So simple physics man, kinetic energy= 1/2 mv² m is mass and v is velocity you do the simple math.

not worth it.

After roosting some bird lasat night it happened again.this morning.  Had a hen at 25 yards but 4 Toms struttung stayed at 55 yards. At leasty I'm seeing a great show. They moved off and actually passed 15 yards the chair I was sitting in wheb I first heard them gobble this morning. Gotta love it.

You never know what those birds are going to do....one of my buddies was scouting once using an electronic call near his car....just to see if it worked. Nothing responded so he kept it up staying still. All of a sudden he felt something nearby and and the tom had come right up next to his leg...scared the crap out of him :lol:

biggest bird i killed fell to a 7.5 lead promo load. i accidentally brought a box of 3.5 " for my 3 " gun. my guide found it rolling around his pick up. big Merriams dropped like a rock  . 40 yds, hit them in the head.and they die .