The 57lc is only good for up to a 10 color with 300 yd of 30# braid or up to a 200 copper with 300 yd 50# braid.

I have 2 57's with lead and just set up a Penn 330 (comparable capacity) with a 200 copper. A 500 copper wouldn't even be close to fitting.

500' of copper is right at the transition point where you may wish to consider moving up to a larger frame reel. It all comes down to how much backing you are comfortable with.

If you are looking only for a chute rod you might get away with the small amount of backing on the Okuma 553LS. The high retrieve rate will be handy helping you to clear the rod quickly when you hook up on another line.

But if you are planning to deploy this off a planer, I'd really recommend bumping up to the Okuma Solterra 50L which will have room for a lot of backing. You'll lose a little retrieve rate compared to the 553, but if it's out on the planer you won't need to clear it all the time.

Keep in mind that the retrieve rate is rated at a full reel and as line is removed from the reel the retrieve rate per handle turn is lessened. So a nearly empty Clarion 553 is not going to have much (if any) of  an advantage over a half-full Solterra 50L. You'll only begin to see the Clarion's high speed retrieve advantage when you compare it to similar sized reels with slower retrieve rates.

Any less than 200yds gets me a little uneasy about running it.  If you run it on a board, you are losing a huge percentage of your backing for a fish to run.  I hope you guys are ready to chase! 

Well, you could try a couple of things.

I can't speak for Tom, but if the reel and packaging are in perfect condition, you might try contacting him and see if he will do a switch.

Alternately, you could pick up a Solterra and a 300-400' spool of copper and transfer the 500' from the 553 to the Solterra and spool the 300-400' copper on the 553 (adjusting to get the proper amount of backing to correctly fill both reels). In this way you would have ample backing on each reel and run one off each side of the boat with a planer and cover the common depths pretty well. realistically, once you get the hang of running the copper and catch some fish with it, you'll probably want a second one anyway. Might just want to spend the money up front and be done with it.