Stacker Question

I finally got myself set up with some dual rod holders for my downriggers I was planning to stack on slow days. I would be stacking off the rigger cable mid way up, I have some custom made stacker releases to do this with, my question is do you get a lot of tangles doing this?  Im thinking if a fish takes the lower line off the ball as it starts to come up maybe the line would run in to whatever lure you have on the stacker above, does this happen a lot? Just wondering what I might be in for lol.

I had the same initial concerns but have never had a tangle. I am conscious of the lead behind the stacked rod... I tend to keep it on the shorter side. I use chamberlain stacker releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Same as above. Very few tangles. I avoid using flashers on the stacker as the rotation increases the area the stacker takes up and increases tangles. Other then that very easy to use. I use the Scotty releases that just clamp on the rigger cable. Easy to use and you can put the release anywhere on the cable.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I've always stacked the riggers. Outside deep with the top inside one approx 10 ft higher up. I use the chamberlain stacker release on top and roemer on the bottom with a rubber band.

Rarely ever get tangled.

Don't be afraid to try different set ups. Find what works for you.

Boat Safe

Egoody

I always run the upper line shorter.  Theory being if a fish follows it but doesn't like he probably fades back and goes back down.  Then "whamo" he has the second lure right in his face.  :)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

High stacked releases on the outside riggers are great for rigger rods on steelhead in mid summer. I also run a stealth for picky kings who are ball shy. 200 copper 40 feet above the ball and you can use flashers on that but not at the ball on any riggers. Too much chance for major FUBAR. If running many longline sets of copper as I do (3 - 4) I keep all forward presentations at the ball spoons as they are the shortest of all your deployment and first to come up past your long lines. Depends on what the fish's mood is..sometimes they like the noise of riggers. ..sometimes a quiet meal slipping 200 feet away or more is appealing. Your divers will give you the first clues to quiet appeal.

Stacking a short copper on an outboard rigger keeps it out of the chute and down out of netting work. If you do hook a fish on a spoon off the ball it may cross the copper but not twirling it up with a flasher. If it runs long you can clear it off the stacker or just drop the ball deep 100ft or more quickly depending on initial strike zone and carry the copper down to a safe depth.

Two advantages..One you still keep that copper running. Two ...After you net that spoon fish you pop the stacked rigger copper off before bringing the ball up and as you bring that ball up and remove the stacker release the 200 copper sitting in its rod holder climbs the water column and possibly grabs another king on its way.

Then to reset just put the spoon back 40 down..Attach stacker...reel the copper backing in and clip the backing in the release. Then do it again..repeatability is key!

Mark

cent frum my notso smart fone

High stacked releases on the outside riggers are great for rigger rods on steelhead in mid summer. I also run a stealth for picky kings who are ball shy. 200 copper 40 feet above the ball and you can use flashers on that but not at the ball on any riggers. Too much chance for major FUBAR. If running many longline sets of copper as I do (3 - 4) I keep all forward presentations at the ball spoons as they are the shortest of all your deployment and first to come up past your long lines. Depends on what the fish's mood is..sometimes they like the noise of riggers. ..sometimes a quiet meal slipping 200 feet away or more is appealing. Your divers will give you the first clues to quiet appeal.

Stacking a short copper on an outboard rigger keeps it out of the chute and down out of netting work. If you do hook a fish on a spoon off the ball it may cross the copper but not twirling it up with a flasher. If it runs long you can clear it off the stacker or just drop the ball deep 100ft or more quickly depending on initial strike zone and carry the copper down to a safe depth.

Two advantages..One you still keep that copper running. Two ...After you net that spoon fish you pop the stacked rigger copper off before bringing the ball up and as you bring that ball up and remove the stacker release the 200 copper sitting in its rod holder climbs the water column and possibly grabs another king on its way.

Then to reset just put the spoon back 40 down..Attach stacker...reel the copper backing in and clip the backing in the release. Then do it again..repeatability is key!

Mark

Hi Mark, When you use the copper stacked is it a dedicated 200 or could it be a 300 or a shortened 300. If it were a shortened 300 how would you attach the copper ? Rubber band ? Thanks Dave

Dave, yes it is a 200 copper with backing clipped in the stacker. I use Scotty pinch stackers set on tight to hold the braid backing just behind the copper. You could use 300 copper and hook the backing into the stacker, but it would be for very deep thermocline 80 feet or more so you could stack a 300 65 feet above the ball and have it below water surface a good 15 to 20 feet or more and not interfere with a fish on another line at back of the boat.

If all you have is a 300 and it sits idle because the fish are holding deeper than it will reach on its own, it is a good way to utilize the copper and the signature it gives on its own.

I would not try to hold a 300 to a 200 length by attached rubber band. You could do it but the drag on the vertical portion going rod to band would be troublesome I think. I have used rubber bands on the outriggers to hold a shorter section of 500 or 600 and that works but rough water breaks them sometimes.

I recommend a 200 copper. I found it to be a very useful length for many options...fishes effectively 45 feet or less on its own as a fast retrieve chute rod...torpedoed off the side to achieve more depths and wider set...dropped on the stacker to achieve virtually any depths ....It's easy to get on a smaller reel, good for ladies and kids.

Common mid sixties depths can be fished with 2 coppers ...a 200 stacked corner rigger opposite a 300 knot at the water corner chute rod. They are running on different planes and safe. Just keep steady straight on the helm on setting up, after that turns as normal are ok. Remember the stacked 200 can dive quickly out of the way any time a fish is on. It never really needs to be hauled in. If it is popped to retrieve the ball on the common down rigger, all that needs gathering is the backing to clip in the stacker again.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I didn't think the rubber band idea would work but had to ask. I think I will just change one of the 300 to a 200 and work it that way. Picked up the boat yesterday and getting ready for my last fling on the lake in the spring derbys coming up. Moving to Florida so it might be awhile before I get back up to fish with you guys. Thanks again :)

Dave