pen rearing at the oak

I helped put the pens in last year and there was an impressive turnout of people to help. All over the south shore of the lake the pen rearing has been a great success in my opinion. After all the great sport fishing lake O has to offer it does gives back to many people and businesses all over New York. I don't know if I can swing a monetary contribution right now but I can definately lend some time and labor since I live so close. See you all there. Mick

The Genesse River pen rearing project has the exact same dilema. They asked for and also received additional salmon river fish for the upcoming 2007 spring. They are currently in the process of collecting material (round 1.5 inch aluminum tubes 20' long $ plastic tie raps & netting & rope etc.) A local tool/die shop (ANDY) has offered his services of the welding and construction of the 2 new pens needed, and Shumway Marina (Skip) has welcomed and offered assistance(boat crane) at his marina. Interesting point is we already had 2 pens for the steelhead we are currently raising each year. We asked DEC for the extra salmon AND requested to put the pen steelhead we get directly into the Genny river, thus freeing up the 2 pens needed for "extra" salmon. NO DEAL! We had to continue the pen raised steelhead to receive the extra salmon. That shows the commitment the DEC has placed on getting the steelhead program back and running in the open lake AND streams. Don"t get confused that the Oak & Genny are getting ADDITIONAL salmon for our areas. WE are only getting salmon that are already being stocked in each river currently. (Instead of the fish being dumped directly into the rivers they are diverted to our new pens.)

I am donating 1.5 inch alum. tubes I have in my barn along with opening up my Rebel charters account I have at shumway marina for any supplies needed while setting or pulling pens. Also sending check to Oak Orchard project and contacting Web Pearsal(DEC region 8 ) to thank him for at least trying something to counter this new VHS disease.

The Genesee charter boat association is going to hold a very near future fund raiser for the money needed to finish the 2 new pens.

Anything you guys can give ESPECIALLY YOUR TIME 1 or 2 days a year is huge.

Thanks for getting threw ANOTHER long Rebel rave.

Jerry

Rebel

nice to see some positave replies i posted simular notice on GLANGLER site last night only to see that it was removed by the moderator or whoever by this morning im not trying to push other websites just trying to keep catching as part of my fishing trips.after buying there mag. for 5 years it sorta pizzes ya off to have them pull a thread which i feel is important to our fisheries.... :x ok i feel better now.. if my 50 bucks helps put 50000 more salmon in the lake i can do with peanut butter and jam for supper one night instead of going out for dinner. dont know if the wife will understand my reasoning but after 20 years she hasnt been able to figure me out yet.. :$ Ray K.

Thanks especially to Capt Bob Songin and many others for this undertaking that has only enhanced our world class fishery. As Jerry stated however, this dilemna will face other sites that currently have been penrearing in the past. So if you can get involved either financially or hands on, wherever you choose to fish, please get involved. I have tried to give each year since the inception at the Oak, since distance often limilts me to do hands on, as much as I'd like. We have all benefitted from these projects, no matter where they are located on the lake.

Ok I lied the check wasent in the mail yet but was on the counter . Ill open it up and add a note to Capt Bob, to post on this site what days they will need help and maybe keep us filled in as the project rolles along.if ya check the oaks archives i think i remember seeing post last year for approx. times of year. 10 cups coffee at starbucks 25.00 -100 grumpy fishermen giving up coffee for a week =50,000 salmon that,ill put your smile back ;) ******(LAST YEAR the pens were assembled april 8th and fish arrived apr.10th) ****** those were ___last years dates only ,,,but im shure that this year should be close to that time of year

I will be attending the annual Pen Rearing coordinator meeting On Feb 24th; I will have more information after that meeting and will be glad to post it.

Thank you all for your support, I will be even more important this year.

CBS

Fellas,

As far as I can see, I dont know if any money or time should be spent on the oak untill the ruling on the salmon property comes out. As far as I am concerned there should be no public money put into a fishery that will be along as much private land and unaccessable water. Just my 2 cents.

Tight lines all,

Jay

Property Rights along the creek should not shut down a fantastic fishery for a region. Steelhead released from the Oak are targeted by 100's of legit tax payers in both rec boats as well as charters. These fishermen bring thousands of dollars to the Point Breeze area each year. I think these people deserve to receive the same benefits as those in Pulaski and other major tribs.

Jay,

If you look at it that way, You should take into account ALL the taxpayer money and private funds. For instance you can not just single out the oak for a less than 1% of it,s total shoreline. Taxpayer money is not singled out for a specific 1 mile area, it is pooled together for the whole. Taking the WHOLE Lake Ontario shoreline and figuring out what percentage of that is privately owned(private land and unaccessable water) I would guess is a huge percentage. Point is the Oak pen rearing affects the WHOLE Lake(as fish migrate all year) and is a very tiny affect on that small piece of property for a few good weeks 3 to 4 years from now! They could make that whole oak river private and I would still reccomend their pen rearing efforts.

Just a thought, and I am DEFFINATELY on your side when it comes to "the guide" and his little world on that private stretch.

JERRY

REBEL

Jim, in with the good out with the bad in with the good out with the bad..........in 1974 my marine drill instructer siad throughout life 10% of the people in this world will try to wreck it for the other 90%... lets just keep the thoughts of screaming reels wet nets and more of what we can do to fix a problem than to find falt at every turn..Ray K.

Guy's it was pointed out ot me that I had a misprint in my message. It should say "It will be even more important this year".

Please remember pen rearing was started to support the whole system, we cannot control what people do with their land which provides access to this fishery, but we can support making sure that the fish the state stocks have their best chance to survive, so we can all benefit from resourse.

Without fish there is no need for access.

No public money has ever been used to support this porject, it has all been done by private controbution (We thank these peolpe). That is what I am currently requesting, if this fishery is important to you, please support it and the activities that support it!

If it is not and it is your decision not to support it, so be it.

CBS

Reel Bob, thanks for the update. Keep us posted here or on the oak site about when the pens will be put in. I know last year it was about several weeks earlier than years past. Anyways, I put a check in the mail today for the Oak project. Usually sent it to Mike at Captains' Cove, for I knew he got it to the proper people in charge. But since he's now retired he's probably in warmer climates :) Also, as I made mentioned and Jerry touched on, all the projects no matter where they are located on the lake, enhances the entire fishery. So whether we are just a rec fisherman, charter captains, trib fishermen or just those who want to be supportive of a worthwhile project, get involved somehow. Lastly, Jerry if you could post an address for the Genny project I'd be glad to send a check there as well. Thank you.

Fellas,

Sorry, I thought the whole idea behind the pen rearing was to give the fish time to imprint on that body of water so that they will return when the reach maturity and try to spawn. If it is just a case of increased survival rates of young fish then I was mistaken and would support it. If it was an imprinting issue then there would be better places with better access to spend taxpayer money. Also that they are migrtory fish and the boat guys have all year to catch them all over the lake. I guess I dont have a clear understanding of what the goal is of the pen rearing, thought i read it was an imprinting issue.

Confused,

Jay

Jay, imprinting is the reason for pen system but not a guarentee they will return to the oak.like chinook saidthey wont be back to spawn for 3to4 yrs.but if they swim out front to visit it gives shore and boat fisherman better odds of catching during our fishing trips, all around lake onterio.but with those who can help stock the lake ,put back from what you recive kinda makes ya feel good . i never fished in the 80's OPPS 90's but ive heard stories of trolling all day without a fish .now after dishing you in my earlier post ill invite you or anyone to hop onboard to get a screaming reel in your hand,if that dont change your mind on extra stocking nothing will :) just pm me and ill make a call list the only thing better than catching a big fish is being able to share the experience with others. ill supply theboat,hook line and sinker you just have to send a donation to the stocking program if you enjoyed the catching i mean fishing trip ...Ray K.

Upgrudy ,that hurt weall ant no englesh pruffessers here just some guys at the dull end of a pole.now i can tear down and rebuild a ch46 helocopter or lay up a boiler manifold like ya ant never seen ,i even knows what end of a piece of pipe the poop will come outta when the toilet is flushed but give me a keyboord and sum of them hard spellin words and i gets all messed up ,but i are lerninn....me...i mean Ray K.

Ray, I'm sure that Hans was just giving Reel Bob a hard time on his spelling. There was no disrespect intended, I'm sure. Wanted to touch on one clarification, is that the 80's seen some mighty fine fishing days. Stocking levels were at 3.5 mil. salmonids at one time, from just for the state of N.Y. Then the baitfish crash of the early 90's, along came stocking reductions to 1.0 mil, then with the outbreak of Whirling Disease at Caledonia, all salmon were raised at Altmar, from the Salmon River. This is when fishing from the Oak and other ports, mainly those not in Mexico Bay saw some tough fishing days. Most of the salmon that were stocked in the weatern basin streams found their way back to the Salmon river, come spawning time, for they were imprinted upon release to that stream. After some time of seeing this same occurance each fall, Bob Songin and others decided to look into penrearing at the Oak, not knowing what the future would hold for this effort. Obviously, history has shown that the efforts are well worth the investment. But it does come with a price, through many hours of volunteer help and financial donations, especially from those of us who like this sport. Thanks for sending your check, and sometime when you don't want to haul your boat to the Oak, you're welcome to fish with us.

Chinook, if you know me youll know the only thing that bothers me is my wife comming up with a honeydoo list 1 day before a well planed hunting or fishing trip.. you know like tommorow ,the next day the day after that, and that ,ect,ect I just try to be entertaining and somewhat informative on this site.every day is a good day,but some are better then others, kinda like fishing,and hunting.now bring up my polish decent, bald head, fat gut or short stature ,i just might take my teeth out jump up and punch ya right in the kneecap...thanks for the invite id like to steepen up my learing curve a little , going to bass pro feb 3rd to meat trollin class (tomorrow)lessen my wife find the honey doo list a hid under the trash can (she will never look there thats NOT her job) :D Ray K.